Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #11 
kfish

:( Maybe dipping back and forth between really hot water and ice water will shock the critters to death... I could see that working, since you can euthanize a fish with ice cold water.

Just hope the plants would be okay!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #12 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i heard dunking the plants in ice water will get rid of unwanted critters. >.> dunno if that's true, or not, though.
Hmmm...... not sure how the plants would react to that. What I do is soak the plants overnight in a 5 gal. bucket (only used for fish stuff) in straight tap water. I figure if there IS anything in/on them, the chlorine will kill it, but not hurt the plants. So far, so good.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

I've only had good experiences with Bob's. I didn't like that she sent all my plants in one bag and didn't label (even though I told her I'm new to plants and needed ID's on them) but besides that everything was great. My snails were in the same bag (I got one mystery and one nerite) but they are both extremely healthy and happy.

I always dip my plants in a very mild bleach solution and then QT them for 2 weeks. You should quarantine every living thing that goes in your tank, even plants. I never noticed bugs on mine but then again as soon as I open them up they get dipped. I did notice quite a few pond snails however but they're killed by the bleach.

Edit to add.. I'm ordering my next set of plants from Heather however because she has almost everything I'm looking for (except christmas moss) but BOY is she expensive O.O I'm not even ordering everything I probably need and it's already like $52 including shipping.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Eesh! Thats expensive.
And I have no access to bleach, nor would I want to use it..Idk, it freaks me out! They are QTing, but Im still disappointed in the fact that they had them to begin with D:
The snails, Idk what theyre called, but they are REALLY tiny and have a spiral-y shell that goes out like a pyramid. Are they the type that multiply like mad? D:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #15 
B3TTA LUVA

Wow, all those snails on your plants!!?? That disgusting. They could have dieseases!!! I myself have never been to big on "snails"....
B3TTA LUVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #16 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Eesh! Thats expensive.
And I have no access to bleach, nor would I want to use it..Idk, it freaks me out! They are QTing, but Im still disappointed in the fact that they had them to begin with D:
The snails, Idk what theyre called, but they are REALLY tiny and have a spiral-y shell that goes out like a pyramid. Are they the type that multiply like mad? D:
Don't snails die in salt? Maybe you can add like 3 tsp/gal of aquarium salt?
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

IME it doesn't matter what kind of snail they are.. as long as you don't over feed and do your best to pick them out occasionally they won't take over. I have malaysian trumpet snails in all my tanks (you can google for pics). They're known to multiply but I don't have much of a problem. When I do water changes I pick a bunch out and kill them and every once in a while I offer to send peeps on here snails if they want them.

In all honestly.. live plants are going to have critters.. there's really no getting around it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #18 
PewPewPew

True, but aaghhh. The intensity of volume of critters isnt what I had expected.
I think they were nomming my poor Java fern, too, which is totally just pbbt. Distroyed. :C It seems to have like eggs (brown?) on it.

Name:  fern.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  5.2 KB :c

Name:  gross.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  3.7 KB A snail, hard to see let alone take a picture of x_x Very tiny, and I think theyre dying off. Wewt.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #19 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
Don't snails die in salt? Maybe you can add like 3 tsp/gal of aquarium salt?
No - plants don't do well in salt either.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #20 
B3TTA LUVA

Oh, Saw the pictures of your plants that is bad!!!
B3TTA LUVA is offline   Reply With Quote