Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #1 
twobettas

Got an Unexpected Guppy Today

I bought five ghost shrimps at the pet store today, since Cartman apparently murdered the last five. The new ones are dubbed Tenorman 1, Tenorman 2, etc. up to 5. A tiny guppy slipped into the bag and the clerk left him in there. He's so small that I'm sure either of my bettas would turn him into an appetizer, so right now he's in his own bowl. I named him Jeff in the hope that someday he can live with Klaus the betta and his two ghostie buddies, Haley and Steve. Klaus flares a lot at everything, but so far he's co-existed peacefully with the two shrimps so I figure he's the better choice to possibly accept the guppy. Jeff would have been a feeder anyway, so I figure at least now he has a chance. I'm waiting for him to grow before I put him in with Klaus.
twobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 
bettafishy life pineapple

ok i did the same thing i bought four ghost shrimp and two guppys were in there for free and they were feeders so i figured i was saving them so later i put them in with my betta and shrimp in a six gallon and they were just fine then my betta became sooo not active and died from stress!!!!! i know its temoting but dont put the guppy in it will kill your betta!!! and is very sad DONT put the guppy in s
bettafishy life pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #3 
Joshaeus

How long are the guppy's fins? Any long-finned guppies will be mistaken for male bettas and attacked mercilessly. Short-finned (I.E wild type and/or feeder) guppies are more likely to do well, and can still look pretty spectacular if taken care of. Here's a website with pictures of feeder guppies that were given some TLC: http://www.feederguppies.com/howto.html
Joshaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 
BettaBoy51

i keep male bettas with male guppies all the time just wait till he gets bigger then put him in the tank and he (or she ) will be fine!

and how big is the tank
BettaBoy51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 
redthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishy life pineapple View Post
ok i did the same thing i bought four ghost shrimp and two guppys were in there for free and they were feeders so i figured i was saving them so later i put them in with my betta and shrimp in a six gallon and they were just fine then my betta became sooo not active and died from stress!!!!! i know its temoting but dont put the guppy in it will kill your betta!!! and is very sad DONT put the guppy in s
Guppies will not kill a betta. They will not stress a betta. They will not hurt a betta. How often did you change the water in that tank? Was it heated/filtered? Also, did you condition your water? I'm sorry to say, but guppies. Can. Not. Kill. A. Betta.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #6 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthebetta View Post
Guppies will not kill a betta. They will not stress a betta. They will not hurt a betta. How often did you change the water in that tank? Was it heated/filtered? Also, did you condition your water? I'm sorry to say, but guppies. Can. Not. Kill. A. Betta.
Mostly agreed, though I disagree that they can't stress a betta. I've heard of far more insignificant things "causing stress", and guppies can be pushy - especially males in the mood to meet females. While the guppies didn't directly kill the betta, they absolutely could have indirectly killed it by introducing something to the tank. Too, whatever procedures were used to put the fish in the tank could have compromised the main tank. I think it's far more reasonable to assume that the fish succumbed to a disease than stress from a couple of feeders. Fish can carry disease and not "be sick", and feeder tanks are notorious for housing diseased fish.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #7 
Joshaeus

The only way a betta could possibly been hurt by a guppy is if the betta was female, and the guppy(s) were very confused males. I have heard of a case where male guppies were stressing a sorority out through their constant mating attempts, but even that is rare...and here we are talking about a male betta.
Joshaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #8 
twobettas

What a great link! This little guy is very plain, so hopefully Klaus won't see him as a threat. Klaus is in 3 gallons and Cartman is in 6; I'd rather put him in the bigger tank, but Cartman is so murderous. Maybe I'll try if he doesn't kill the Tenorman shrimp. I've got Jeff the guppy in a bowl, not a tank, so hopefully that's okay. I treated the water, and it's half a gallon. So far he's very, very lively.
twobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #9 
bettafishy life pineapple

theredbetta. so you are telling me that a guppy with ich or some other diasease cant kill a betta you are so very mistaken they DO stress out bettas and CAN kill them you obviously dont have experience with either!!!!!!
bettafishy life pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #10 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishy life pineapple View Post
theredbetta. so you are telling me that a guppy with ich or some other diasease cant kill a betta you are so very mistaken they DO stress out bettas and CAN kill them you obviously dont have experience with either!!!!!!
You made it sound like the very existence of the guppies stressed your fish to death.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote