Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #21 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Bettafix is bad, and it damages their labryinth organ. ;)
Am not familiar with this product but unless my Betta's condition is really dire (not eating long term or swimming erratically) I stay away from any/all off the counter medications. If your water quality is good (by doing partial water changes as a preventive maintenance) the few issues my Male betta has run into has healed naturally.

As an example, came home one day to find a huge chunk of scale, flesh missing atop my boys head. Most likely he was ready to pounce on a ghost shrimp and smacked his head full speed. Since he was otherwise swimming fine and still had his voracious appetite I let it slide. Within 2 days he showed signs of growing new flesh and was completely healed in a week.
scootshoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #22 
Thunderloon

The molly fry killed five girls, don't have to quote an article. Even a girl who only ate two died.

Hm, my medicine cabinet for sorority includes Erythromycin, T.C. Tetracycline, Jungle Fungus Cure, J. Ick cure, J. Parasite cure, Lifeguard, magnesium sulfate, kosher salt/aquarium salt, pimafix, melafix, prime, stress zyme, stress guard from seachem, triple-sulfa and Jungle makes both antibacterial and antifungal foods.

I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol at 50/50 concentration, gel hand sanitizer, bottle of distilled drinking water at salt saturation, triple antibacterial cream, tube of Mupirocin (perscription), scentless alcohol free baby wipes, jungle dip strips, a 4"x8" filter bag of pre-rinsed carbon and a pack of nitrile gloves (small like surgical, walmart) all within quick reach of the tank.

For tank operation I keep Discus Buffer, baking soda, TLC buffered pond pH reducer, aqueon plant food, algaefix, aquarisol and a spare fully functional filter who's bio-wheel I wake up every four months. (the bacteria can tolerate LONG durations dry at low temp)

If you don't know what all of these are for, that's fine. In three years I've used each at least once and some too often to count.

I tell people that keeping an aquarium costs fifty dollars for their first pet before they even put fish in it. Keep this statement in mind when you consider the cost of a sorority.

I feed using Omega One flake, dry bloodworm, dry tubifex worm, Omega One's betta pellets and Hikkari Fancy Guppy.

Daunting. Get pimafix, melafix, seachem's stress guard, a small breeder trap, second small net and the trio Ick/Parasite/Fungus clear from jungle. The seachem's stress guard will be the most expensive but penny for pickle its been my best performer, it is a tissue balm for injured fish and doesn't take much dose for little tanks.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Wow..you use a lot of chemicals...my meds are Epsom salt, aquarium salt, oak leaves, fresh garlic...lot of fresh water......

It cost me about $10.00 to set up my last 10g aquarium-fully planted...I guess you can spend as much as you want or go low cost.......to each their own....lol...lots of different ways to set an aquarium up and stock, plant, filter, lights, heaters...etc......that is what make this hobby so great....more than one right way to do it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #24 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Hm, my medicine cabinet for sorority includes Erythromycin, T.C. Tetracycline, Jungle Fungus Cure, J. Ick cure, J. Parasite cure, Lifeguard, magnesium sulfate, kosher salt/aquarium salt, pimafix, melafix, prime, stress zyme, stress guard from seachem, triple-sulfa and Jungle makes both antibacterial and antifungal foods.
Holy Cow Batman! Have had some experience with sickness in your tanks, eh?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #25 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Holy Cow Batman! Have had some experience with sickness in your tanks, eh?
Cats fishing, black mold, reverse nitrification, bad food, ick, parasites, white fuz outbreak, you name it. I live in a thirty two year old single-wide down in florida, everything from ants to spiders have gotten in the water. All insects carry a fungus or bacteria of one form or another. I've learned to hit anything with two attacks and have even serilized a planted tank once while the girls were on support in a bare ten with fully pre-treated 20% changes daily. Have even thrown out a ten gallon tank because bacteria got into the edges.

Cat scratch is the worst to get, kitties pick up tons of stuff on their paws and when they inject it into fish you get near biblical results. Emmy was euthanized with four clearly different infections. The meds and dosages I'd have had to use to be sure of cure would have been lethal.

Love my little ones a lot and it chews me up when one passes on me against my will. So I try harder and as its my hobby other than computers I can spend a fair penny on it. I do lawn spray and pest control for work each day as well and live in fear that I'll forget to clean a fingernail or something. Everything I use says "Warning: Kills Fish".
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #26 
coolcucumber

I've got 2 in my community tank. I know it is unadvisable, however, i have been monitoring them for almost a month now. They are doing fine, they sometimes swim up to each other, or collide during feeding times, but these are the only interactions i see between them and there is no nipping whatsoever. I'd love to turn the tank into a sorority, but the other fish make it impossible right now.

So, good luck! If you do get one running, i'd love to see some photos!
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #27 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theraggy1 View Post
^^ I have a sorority with 7 girls 3 corydoras and 2 snails in a 20 gal, Your gonna need a hide for each girl to claim and TONSSSS of plants for them to hide in. .
Good advice. Agreed planted tanks are great for shy fish and just overall beneficial in a closed system of living organisms. Having said that, while my 14 gallon is decently planted (want to add more) as evidenced by the pic, aside from the first day or so of a couple females using the plants as refuge getting acclimated to a new tank they rarely if ever retreat to them as their hide or hangout areas anymore. They all kind of hang together now like schooling fish so it's been great to see them get along

Name:  063.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  113.2 KB
Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #28 
jespenguin

I'm going to shoot for a few low maintenance low light plants, just for the natural benefits. But i don't want to upgrade lighting. Plus my bf really likes this dragon decoration, so Im shooting for an "asian" theme (keeping him involved makes him complain less when I spend). I was also thinking oh adding a divider to each side sectioning off 4 gallons each to keep 2 more males. Any opinions there? It leaves the center with 26" & 30 gallons of water just about.
jespenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #29 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Wow..you use a lot of chemicals...my meds are Epsom salt, aquarium salt, oak leaves, fresh garlic...lot of fresh water......

It cost me about $10.00 to set up my last 10g aquarium-fully planted...I guess you can spend as much as you want or go low cost.......to each their own....lol...lots of different ways to set an aquarium up and stock, plant, filter, lights, heaters...etc......that is what make this hobby so great....more than one right way to do it.....
I like OFL natural remedy better lol why spend tons of money on chemicals when nature will do the trick
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #30 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
I like OFL natural remedy better lol why spend tons of money on chemicals when nature will do the trick
~shrugs~ snake oil gets rid of muscle cramps if you rub it in... don't get me wrong, what works does work but we're talking sorority here, not just a bowl.

Remember that I'm treating betta, tetra, molly, herbivore and guppy any time I treat one fish. The dosages I deal with make the "natural" remedies exceptionally uneconomical in the volume I have. I do use mela and pimafix regularly, best treatments for external but if you get ick or parasites a "natural" usually doesn't solve the problem.

I don't have a week to wait for little girl to heal because every minute is another minute that fourteen other fish are exposed and I'm loathe to risk my sorority to the whims of something that relies on the fish's own healing capacity.

Tags
advice, comparability, sorority