Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #31 
jespenguin

Haha this thread has shifted quite a bit, lol. But thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions! I think I'm going to divide 4 gallons on the left and right for males, leaving 30 gallons in the middle for 9 girls, transfer my loaches, and probably 12 head and light tetras. I'm gonna do coconut huts for the boys with a real plant and several silk. And in the middle LOTS of plant coverage from top to bottom including real low light plants, maybe some coconut huts to, that goofy dragon and whatever else catches my fancy. Loaches will pry go in first seeing as how I own them. Then I'm not too sure whether to add the girls first or the tetras, advise?
jespenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #32 
Thunderloon

Remember to make the dividers for the males stick up some so they can see they extend above the surface. Males will jump pond just to see whats on the other side and they'll certainly jump pond to be with the girls or get to the other boy!

Pecking order is important with the girls, have any fish you want in as community in the tank BEFORE the betta go in, the boys will consider them rocks that move but the girls will harass any later editions and even bump them to get them to respond to flaring.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #33 
Littlecloud

Here's what we did, it's really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be (in our case.)
Our betta girls weren't sisters, they weren't even from the same store. We went around until we got 6, got our net ready, and then quickly dumped them in. Luckily, none of ours were that aggressive, but thief was some fighting. We have a 10 gallon. Correct me if I'm wrong but you need quite a lot for a large tank. Also, ours really don't use the hiding spots that much. We went to our local michaels and picked up the fallen fake plants of the floor, washed them, and dropped them in, they luv it. Good luck, and be sure to have a net!
Littlecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #34 
jespenguin

Quite a lot of girls or decor? I plan on 9-12 girls depending on what I find and if they look healthy. I'm also adding 5 black kuhlis and 12 head and light tetras (or whatever smaller tetra catches my fancy), maybe even some shrimp or a netrite snail or 2. I need a good clean up crew for the sand bottom. I plan on adding the girls last. And to add them every 15 minutes or so.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #35 
jespenguin

Oh and lots of plants from top to bottom, I just ordered more anacharis, java moss, and guppy grass. I'll probably get some anubis and java fern too. With lots of taller silk plants to break line of sight. Even debating cocOnutbhuts. I think they look cool! Already have terra cotta in my other tank, this will be a nice change of pace
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #36 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespenguin View Post
Quite a lot of girls or decor? I plan on 9-12 girls depending on what I find and if they look healthy. I'm also adding 5 black kuhlis and 12 head and light tetras (or whatever smaller tetra catches my fancy), maybe even some shrimp or a netrite snail or 2. I need a good clean up crew for the sand bottom. I plan on adding the girls last. And to add them every 15 minutes or so.
Nice! With your size tank should do well. It's sort of good to have other compatible species next to a sorority to draw attention. We have two sort of factions building in ours particularly at feeding time now, 5 betta female schooling together and the 3 platy's. The 3 platy's are real fast with food, a couple get bloated cause they pigs and steal the betta food. The sorority has kind of formed a little clique at feeding time to chase the platy's away (don't worry based on the bloatness of my platy's they are still finding ways to get a decent meal)
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #37 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecloud View Post
Here's what we did, it's really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be (in our case.)
Our betta girls weren't sisters, they weren't even from the same store. We went around until we got 6, got our net ready, and then quickly dumped them in. Luckily, none of ours were that aggressive, but thief was some fighting. We have a 10 gallon. Correct me if I'm wrong but you need quite a lot for a large tank. Also, ours really don't use the hiding spots that much. We went to our local michaels and picked up the fallen fake plants of the floor, washed them, and dropped them in, they luv it. Good luck, and be sure to have a net!
Agreed on the hiding spots. From my perspective fish only hide if they are constantly harrassed. My sorority on the oft chance they do chase one another lasts for a second or two but ends with endless hours of peace which is why none of them ever use the plants and in fact just hangs out together. On the other hand I used to have a Red Tail Shark in my 14. Wow this guy was so annoying. He would chase one of the platy's endlessly from one side of the tank to the other, he pretty much did this all day. Platy would have no choice but to hide in the corner and her gills were going cause she was so stressed and energy burned from being chased all day. Luckily the 14 day return fish policy at petsmart was still in effect so he went back to the store real quick .
Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #38 
jespenguin

I'm gonna have some caves just in case. My main focus is heavily planted
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #39 
scootshoot

Betta females have so much personality, really enjoying my sorority setup. It's interesting how different betta's react compared to other species. As an example when I am near the tank the whole community, 5 female bettas alongside a few platy and guppy are all over the front of the tank excited to see me (ooh food!).

Now when I need to do maintenance like cleaning the inside front of the tank for algae removal is another story. The guppy and platy's who were once so happy to see me start freaking out. The betta's don't react any differently, swarm around my hand and and start taking nibbles. Sometimes I have to nudge them away from the algae sponge cause they keep getting in the way.

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-20-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #40 
jespenguin

I'm so excited! I found a breeder on another forum, and he has 5 hm female sisters:) I'll post pictures when I get them! I still plan on getting 6 more I think, I change my mind everyday about how many! My tanks not cycled yet so I have to prepare for some daily water changes.

Tags
advice, comparability, sorority