Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 
amber31190

Not a rant, but the truth, might hurt..

not to affind anyone or store. I keep seeing people posting threads about awful condtions and rescuing fish, but somthing i though... all of these people "rescueing" fish are really just adding the fuel to the fire.. the rescured fish is a sale meaning money then they replace the fish. i see people whining on several fish and reptile forums, then the people go and shop at petco and petsmart, but not buying fish just equipment. if we really wont to rescure fish we wouldn't purchase then, and most wil probably die but it will be less the have to replace. not dissing i shop at my local petco and the bettas and tank are super clean, heck i would probably drink the betta water, but my petsmart i wouldn't let the water touch me, it is appauling. not to diss.. just a thought....
amber31190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

I think the only way to make a difference by not purchasing is if everyone banded together to not purchase from certain stores all together. I feel at least I can give the betta a good place to live for the remainder of his life whether short or long. I think the only way to get results is to be vocal and make a big fuss. Even then they are huge public corporations that make billions a year and it would take a lot of people to get them to really change their care or to stop carrying bettas (all fish) all together since they are such a tiny percentage of their profits (and that is all big corps ultimately care about - the bottom line and making money for their shareholders). I save so much by shopping at Walmart on all of my other stuff that their treatment of bettas most likely wouldn't keep me from shopping their all together giving the corporation even more reason to not care. So I will buy to save if I can (and have room)!

That's how I see it...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 
iheartmybettas

And not offended at all! I just don't know believe that method would be affective when plenty of other people buy fish promting the stores to continue to stock up not just us betta/fish fanatics. :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i'm not offended, but my thing is.... me not buying the fish doesn't matter. SOMEONE will, and Remy would have died there on the shelf if i didn't get him. no one wants a tail-less betta, which is why HMPKs and PKs aren't as popular in pet stores as Veiltails, Crowntails, and Halfmoons. i'm shocked my walmart even got bettas in again, since the other manager stopped ordering them after seeing they couldn't care for them. walmart's a super store. us not buying the fish won't matter to them. someone will, so they'll always keep them in stock(if they have a fish department).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 
amber31190

my bf, worked at walmart for a year, in the fish department, thats what started his passion for fish, the manger told him that there is only 4 in our state that carry fish now. i have a wallyworld about 5 miles away that have great fish, but then the bigger one keeps betta graveyards. i am not saying rescueing is bad, i had it several times, and used it as an ascuse once, lol it was just a thought. thank you for replies
amber31190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #6 
NightxFury

I agree with a few of the others to post here. When I bought my two latest betta fish, I knew it would be basically pointless to just leave them there suffering. Wal*Mart doesn't make most of its money from its pet care section, and certainly not from the betta fish that they stock there. While it does just encourage them to restock, it also means that I'm providing home for at least two more who don't have to deal with those conditions. It would take a huge number of people to get them to stop carrying betta fish, and that number wouldn't be nearly large enough for them to listen to the demand. Most of their money is made basically anywhere else in the store.

So, yeah, I save which ones I can. A better appeal would be to tell them to employ someone to take care of the fish. Or, in the case of Wal*Mart particularly, supposedly they take pride in being a "family" store. So ask them what kind of family would let -any- pet suffer the way they let their fish suffer?
NightxFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

A lot of the people who claim that they made a rescue really just did this. The technical term for this is a sympathy purchase.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettamaniac View Post
A lot of the people who claim that they made a rescue really just did this. The technical term for this is a sympathy purchase.
And so it's better to leave them to die?Leern 2 reed man. It's still rescuing.
Quote:
res·cue verb \ˈres-(ˌ)kyü\
res·cuedres·cu·ing
Definition of RESCUE

transitive verb
: to free from confinement, danger, or evil : save, deliver: as
a : to take (as a prisoner) forcibly from custody
b : to recover (as a prize) by force
c : to deliver (as a place under siege) by armed force
— res·cu·able adjective
— rescue noun
— res·cu·er noun
Read first definition, we are FREEING the bettas FROM CONFINEMENT and DANGER. Your definition of "rescue" is to save without paying.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #9 
elijahfeathers

Bettas are just like puppymill animals in a lot of stores. Badly treated and sold for a quick buck.

It's easy to make the argument that buying one is saving it when it's not $400 for one fish or anything like that. But honestly in any other type of pet purchase from those kinds of conditions you'd get called out big time for supporting the trade.

I'm not saying that walmart bettas and the like don't deserve proper treatments and homes. But honestly people are lying to themselves when they think that buying one fish it saving it. It matters to that one betta, yes. But not making the purchase in the future could save hundreds of thousands of fish.

On the other hand, I buy from petco. I accept the conditions they're treated in (and just because your petco is nice doesn't mean that it's okay to support it. If there's one nice petco and 200 horrible ones, your money still helps those other 200)-- because it's a convenience. I don't have to pay 35 dollars for a fish to be driven to me. I don't have to worry about it getting lost in shipping-- and I can inspect it live and in person at location. The price for this convenience is the suffering of the fish in exchange for saving me some cash.

Is it a good moral trade off? Not at all-- but it's one that most everyone who owns a betta has willingly accepted. *shrugs*

Just saying, buying a puppymill puppy from the breeder is rescuing it-- but it's also encouraging 20 more puppies. Adopting one or buying from a reputable breeder is generally more expensive, but you help put the puppymill out of business. I'm pretty sure the same concept works with fish.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #10 
bettamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
And so it's better to leave them to die?Leern 2 reed man. It's still rescuing.

Read first definition, we are FREEING the bettas FROM CONFINEMENT and DANGER. Your definition of "rescue" is to save without paying.
I was never saying that a rescue is getting them without paying. It is still a rescue but even though it is a rescue it is just called a sympathy purchase.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote