Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 
Rbrtkln

Cloudy Water

So my betta (Bo) is in a 2.5 gallon tank and we change his water (100%) once a week. The first day we change his water, the water is clear. The next day it becomes cloudy. I am wondering what I am doing wrong. But first, a couple facts.

1. We use a filter, use Betta Water Conditioner, and seasalt, approx 2.5 tablespoons (1 tablespoon per gallon). The tank water was foggy the next day.

2. Most recently, we took the filter out and added Bettafix because he has what we believe to be a skin ulcer. I understand that you shouldnt use the filter when using medication. He also has a little fin rot and recently recovered from some fungus that caused him to go dormant. We also added the salt. The water is cloudy again.

Is there something we are doing wrong? Is the foggy water even a concern? should we not use the salt with the bettafix? Is the bettafix worthless?

At the moment, Bo is doing fine, eating fine, and behaving normally.

Thank you,
Rbrtkln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
kelly528

1) Test your ammonia
2) You are adding WAY too much salt to the tank. The general dosage is 1 TBSP per FIVE gallons... I put 1 TBSP per gallon in my goldfish tank once, nearly killed my fish. They were in shock for a day, completely paralyzed, unable to close their mouths and floating all around the tank because the salinity had made them so buoyant. I'm surprised your fish isn't dead.

To fix: Change 25% of the water every 2 hours for about 3 hours, then do a 50% change and another 50% change 3 hours later. If you don't do it slowly you will mess up the fish's internal water/salt balance.

My hypothesis is that all that salt killed your filter bacteria, causing an ammonia spike.

3) Get rid of the bettafix.

4) To treat his fin rot and ulcer...
-Make sure the water is clean (100% water changes every 2 days)
-Make sure the water is warm (78-80 degrees)
-Salt lightly (1/2 TBSP for 2.5g)
-If it doesn't seem to be clearing up, buy some hydrogen peroxide from the drug store. Catch the fish ad swab it on the affected areas with a Q-tip. If you can see it bubbling that means its killing the germs.

5) Aftercare:
-You need to clean your tank more often, which is why these problems cam up. 100% every twice per week will do it for an uncycled 2.5g tank.
-If he doesn't have a heater, get him one.
-Don't salt unless he gets an infection... it makes a crappy preventative measure because if your betta DOES get something, you will have to increase the dosage anyways.

Good luck!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #3 
Rbrtkln

Thank you for the response. Firstly, I meant teaspoon rather than tablespoon. And we do have a heater set at 78 degrees.

What is recommended for water changes for a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter?
Rbrtkln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
kelly528

It's not filtration that determines how many water changes you need to be doing, because it's the bacteria inside the filter that are actually keeping the water clean. If you have not cycled your tank, you won't have these bacteria living in the filter and therefore need to clean the tank as you would an uncycled tank.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote