Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 
Windblowswolf

Unhappy What is going on?

Hey. I got a betta last week from petsmart and he was a little dull but I liked his colors. He brightened up a bit after a few days of feeding and he acts like a normal betta should, eating all of his 2 pellets twice a day, swimming around, making bubbles around his bowl, but I'm not sure he's ok. I think it was Thursday that I saw a fresh scratch on his head just above his eye and his fin was ripped. I checked everything in his cage and the only thing that could have scratched him was his live plants. However every site I go to says plants can't hurt fish. This plant was a golden something or other that the petsmart guy said was perfect for bettas. I decided to keep a watch on him and his scar is almost gone and his tail is mostly healed. I changed his water yesterday making sure that the tap water was correctly treated with conditioner and left out till it was room temperature. But now, within the last 5 hours he has gotten red marks on both of his gill flaps! I don't know it this is his coloring or what but I am scared. He is acting normally but a little more active in his swimming. I thought it might be velvet but I looked it up and he should be acting sick or have a goldish shine to him if it is. He has neither of these symptoms. Could it be his plants? HELP?!?
PS: He is in a bowl with 69 degree water. As soon as I go to Walmart I am going to get him a 10 gallon tank which I already have a heater for.

Last edited by Windblowswolf; 02-13-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more info
Windblowswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 
Windblowswolf

Pictures of Declan:

http://kichwahya.deviantart.com/#/d39hotq
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 
Windblowswolf

I'm 100% sure he has scratches but I am moving him into his 10 gallon tank tomorrow and have added aquarium salt to his new tank's water along with the conditioner I have been using. Any other suggestions? Should I take out his plants? leave them in there till his betta bulbs are growing? Just leave them and hope they didn't cause his injuries?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 
1bcmc

I am by far an expert but I think he definitely needs a heater as 69 degrees is too cold, maybe that's the problem. I've also read that the hard plastic plants can scratch the fish, but the live ones as long as they are soft should be fine. Sorry I'm not more help to you.
1bcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Yes. 69 is really, really cold. Do your best to warm that water up (slowly), try putting a heating pad on low under it or bob a water bottle (clean) filled with warmer water inside in there.
I looked, but didnt really see what you meant.. As for the fins, regardless of what hurt them, keep the water very clean, well conditioned and add some aquarium salt if you have it.
Do not get that ten if you dont have a heater for it! He'll just be in a bigger tank, but no healthier or warmer.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

The red marks on the gill flaps are normal coloration of the fish. Dark colored Males and females get that when they flare and the color of the line depends on the colorations of the fish.
The ripped fins might be from all the activity or even tailbitting and if he's flaring at something (e.g. his reflection, something in his tank or around the tank) it might lead to tailbiting.
If you have a light in your tank, I suggest you have it mostly off at night to avoid glare inside the tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 
Windblowswolf

Ok thanks. He's going in his 10g tonight which has been running since about 4 yesturday and it has a nice heater at about 78 and some aquarium salt so hopefully he will be happier. His plants are kinda stiff and pointy so I think I'll just take them out when his betta blulbs start growing. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Great! Allow him to acclimate before going in to avoid shocking him.
Put him in his cup with his old tank water, then bob that cup at like half full for like 10 minutes, then add a little bit of the new tank water in there, then every 6-10-15 minutes, add more and more water. After at least like 15-20minutes (minimum), put him in :D
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #9 
Windblowswolf

Thanks for the advice PewPewPew. I did as you said and Declan seems to be enjoying his new found freedom :D
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Yay! Im glad to hear that, that's great news. Pics if you can get them!! :DDDD

Tags
betta, hurt, scratches, sick