Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 
Arkerone

New planted 10g with pics!

I just finished putting together my new 10g betta home!

I'm thinking about adding some floating plants tomorrow, what do you think?

So far I have 2 Anubias Nana, and a potted Hygro compact and a Hygro Difformis. I still have to wait for the wood to get a bit more logged so I can place it properly and attach the anubias to their home.

Tank from below

Rock cave

Driftwood

Is this too lightly planted to start off? Should I be worried about algae? How long should I let this run before adding a betta, 6 weeks?
Arkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #2 
baylee767

What method are you using to cycle it?

Nice tank, BTW.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 
Arkerone

I'm using the planted method, from what I understand this somewhat bypasses the need to wait for the bacteria to cycle the tank as the plants take up the ammonia and nitrate load. though I'm sure the bacteria are going to do their thing anyhow, I guess I'll just test the water for a few weeks and play it by ear. Maybe I'll get some hardy fish to help cycle it as I don't really have an ammonia source yet.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

Ya that should work. More plants = faster cycle tho! But with the short bioload of 1 Betta your amonia spikes will be very little
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #5 
Aluyasha

Beautiful setup! I love the rock cave. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #6 
baylee767

I'd get a LOT more plants then, that is if you add tank mates. You only have to run it for a couple of days then if you are doing the plant method, because nothing will happen without the fish in there. If you add more plants, I suggest stem plants as they suck up ammonia like crazy.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #7 
demonr6

I would consider lighting and your plants. I have five plants in my 5G tank and even with the snail and a ghost shrimp I get spotty small brown algae on the tank and decos that require a little extra effort. Nothing ridiculous though but still not 100% set it and forget it. Also the plant combos can make a difference too. Java Fern grows amazing in my tank where Anubias is meh. My Marimo moss balls are doing really nice too. I am still playing with the amount of time I give the plants light to try and combat my issues. Otherwise no chemicals at all other than water conditioner with the weekly 25% change. I stir the tank water some to get the stuff moving and vacuum out the water crossing my fingers the ghost shrimp is hiding. LOL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #8 
hazelvine

Beautiful tank!!!! (But i helped so it's no surprise that its so beautiful...)
One important note though --> Needs more shrimps... (^_^)

Last edited by hazelvine; 02-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
hazelvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #9 
Arkerone

I have the plain daylight bulb that came with the hood (I bought an aqua-glo T8 15W 18000K but I'm a dummy and got 12" instead of 18") so I have to exchange that and pop it in.

I think I may get some Egeria Densa and have that floating for a bit to hold up against the Great Algae Threat.

I may also colonize with a half dozen red crystal shrimp, I've heard it all depends on the betta as to the viability of shrimp as tankmates.

How do you guys find the moss balls? do you keep them as balls or coulg you say... flatten them out a bit to sttach to driftwood? or would I just be better off with a bit of java moss?

With the new plants I'm getting debris that's a little too big to get sucked up by the filter but still a pain to try to catch with my hand, any tips on plant debris removal?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and nice tank.....

What kind of substrate is that...I really like the look and black or dark colored substrate will really bring out the color in most fish.....

For plants it is really better if you get a bulb that is in the 6500-6700k range-this is more in natural sunlight and the plants can use it better.

Cycling with plants is a good way to cycle, however, sometimes plants can cause confusion when testing due to the natural use of ammonia and nitrate by the plants-sometimes you may not see nitrate reading because the active growth of plants use ammonia before it converts

Algae-this is normal and expected in a container of water that has nutrients and light-some types of algae can even be a sign of healthy water, however, since this is a closed system the algae has to be controlled by the hobbyist-just part of keeping aquariums....weekly removal with algae scrapers with the weekly water changes.....

Photoperiod is also important for not just good plant growth but it also can help keep algae under control-the plants have to be able to out-compete the algae for both nutrients and light-a good starting photoperiod is 10 hours and increase this if you start to see too much algae-some algae is normal and can help make the tank look more natural and soften edges of some items in the tank-your goal is to keep the plants growing better than the algae and when you decrease the photoperiod this can cause the plant growth to slow giving the algae a head start.....

The plant debris floating in the tank-I use a net to fish it out

I would add the Betta to the tank-monitor water prams and make needed water only changes per test results-ammonia/nitrite 0.25ppm or greater-along with the regular weekly 50% water change and light vacuum careful not to disrupt plant roots.....

Look forward to watching your planted tank fill in...hope to see more pics...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote