Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 
Thunder22

Unhappy Torn tail and weak color

My Betta fish, Thunder, has recently started to act kind of sick. He used to be very energectic. He is now laying on the bottom of his tank a lot and a few times I though he had died. I have had him for a little over 1 1/2 years and I try to change 3/4 of his water each Sunday. He has lost some of his red color and it looks kind of dark, maybe kind of black. The main thing I'm worried about is that his tail seemed to rip off. His tail ends in a straight line. I will try to post a picture soon, but is there anything you could help me with??
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 
turtle10

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
Thunder22

Housing
What size is your tank? probably about 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? probably about 69 degrees, low I know, not much i can do
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua culture betta pellet food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets every night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? try to every sunday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 80%-90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail looks almost like its cut off and color has gotten darker
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lazy, laying on the bottom often
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 1 3/4 year old
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #4 
Thunder22

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 
ansalong

I know you know it, but the temperature is way too low, and that is probably a contributing factor to his lethargy. There are heaters for one gallon tanks, which you also probably know, and it's probably the best way to perk him up.

Also, you should be using a water conditioner like Seachem PRIME to remove chlorine, chloramine and ammonia from the water. Those things can be fatal to a Betta. And most on the forum will tell you that in a 1 gal tank you should be doing a 100% wat change every day or every other day.

It's hard to tell about the tail without a oil, but it sounds like your Betta might have bitten at his tail. Is it a completely clean "cut" or if you look closely are there tiny rounded bite marks? Adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt to a daily water change for 10 days is good for healing his fin and preventing infection.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
ansalong

*without a PIC, not an oil. Silly autocorrect.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

If you cant get a heater right yet, Id suggest getting a CLEAN water bottle (narrower the better..), remove the label/glue (no soap!) and fill it with relativley warm water (not. not.not.not hot),letting it float, stnd upright in your tank to dispurse rather slowly into your tank until you can get that heater. Also, over your tank to keep that new warmth in.
You really do need one, especially at not even 70'. :c Good luck!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansalong View Post
I know you know it, but the temperature is way too low, and that is probably a contributing factor to his lethargy. There are heaters for one gallon tanks, which you also probably know, and it's probably the best way to perk him up.

Also, you should be using a water conditioner like Seachem PRIME to remove chlorine, chloramine and ammonia from the water. Those things can be fatal to a Betta. And most on the forum will tell you that in a 1 gal tank you should be doing a 100% wat change every day or every other day.

It's hard to tell about the tail without a oil, but it sounds like your Betta might have bitten at his tail. Is it a completely clean "cut" or if you look closely are there tiny rounded bite marks? Adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt to a daily water change for 10 days is good for healing his fin and preventing infection.
I completely agree. The chlorine in the tap water will kill them and so will the ammonia. You should get PRIME and do daily or every other day wayet changes. The current water temperature will keep your betta from being its healthiest.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #9 
turtle10

Is that your tank in the avatar? It looks smaller than one gallon to me :/
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 
Thunder22

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...00001993225075
This is a link for the picture. Bad quality, but its the best I can do. This is on a facebook page that I had just created, because I dont know how else to get it on here, so you might need a facebook account to see it. and the tail looks mainly like its almost cut off but I'm not sure. I'll have to take another look at Thunder.

Do I need PRIME with distilled water? I buy distilled water from walmart or some grocery store and only use that.

Thank you for all the helpful tips! I will try to keep you updated if there is still problems with Thunder.

And turtle10 - yes that picture was taken not too long after I got him. He didnt have much weater because I was told that I was to keep at least 1/3 of his original water. I was adding some more water every day. and that was probably about the 2nd day, so there was only enough water for him to swim in, plus some extra so he would have enough room. Nice catch though!