Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
Algy

New to forum (Butterfly half moon and solid red halfmoon)

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum here and I just recently got into Bettas. Ive known about this fish but never really developed such a strong interest to them that I have now?

Ive had some before in the past when I was like 10 or 13. Something around there and I thought they were cool but never really payed attention to them. Mainly my dad took care of them as well as his other fishes he had (red tail golden Arowana and some salt water fishes).

But recently I went to a local PETSMART with my sister and her bf and saw these things in those tiny cups.. I thought they looked cool looking and when I went home I just couldnt stop thinking about them. So I decided to search around one day on the internet just to see how they looked and realized there were some pretty looking ones out there. I didnt know there were different patterns and tails types. Knowing this I did more research and came to find out that I wanted a halfmoon butterfly and a crowntail cambodian.

One day I decided.. Yes Im going to go get a Betta fish and take care of it. So I went to PETCO hoping to find the ones I want but come to find out... PETCO doesnt really carry nice ones like I wanted BUT, I was able to stumble across a really good quality IMO solid red halfmoon male. So I didnt take a second to think and just snatched him and gave him a home. Took him home and named him Knuckles...

So far I had him since Feb 3, 2011 and I became so found with these fishes that I ended up wanting to find more. So I ended up getting another halfmoon but a butterfly pattern.. here is Sonic..

I hope to learn more about this fish and would appreciate anyone that can help me out and caring for my fishes.
Algy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I'm glad you got bitten by the betta bug! Welcome to the forum! We'd be happy to help you take care of your little guys ^^ Firstly, what size tanks are they in, whats the temperature of their tank water, and are their tanks heated? Do you feed them pellets?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 
Algy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I'm glad you got bitten by the betta bug! Welcome to the forum! We'd be happy to help you take care of your little guys ^^ Firstly, what size tanks are they in, whats the temperature of their tank water, and are their tanks heated? Do you feed them pellets?
They both have a 1/2 gallon size tank each. I know its sorta small for them but according to a lot of people, its a relatively okay size tank and they will do fine in it.. Yeah the bigger the better of course. The temperature for the tanks is usually around 72 to 76ish. No I do not have a heater for the tanks but my room usually stays at that level bc I have a heater. Ive been feeding them hakori bio gold fish food, nutrafin flakes, and frozen brine shrimp. I vary it so they can have different things to eat. I change out the water every 2 to 3 days depending on water quality.

If everyone is wondering why I dont get them bigger tanks? Well bc Im a busy person in Nursing school and I also work daily at an autoshop as a mechanic/state inspector. So I really dont have the time to change out bigger tanks and clean them. While these 1/2 gallons are a lot easier to clean and faster.

Im sure if I keep up with the water changes, feed them correctly, and keep a good temperature then my bettas will do just fine. Ill post up some photos of the tank soon once i get back home.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
bettafish15

A half gallon is very small, and not really okay for them. At least a gallon would be best >.< In that size tank, you need to change 100% of the water every day. Whereas, if you get a bigger tank, say a 5 or 10 gallon, you only need to do 50% once a week.
72-76 is too cold, they really need a heater...the neccessary temps are 78-83. Cold temperatures really take a toll on their systems.
Gold fish food is BAD! They need Betta food! Get them Hikari Betta food, goldfish food is NOT meant for bettas, they are carnivores. Nutrafin flakes arent good either, but they dont cater to bettas needs. Frozen Brine Shrimp is fine, a couple times a week only though. Like I said, its actually LESS maitenance with larger tanks, because water changes are farther apart. You cant skimp on water changes in a half gallon, they will die. You need to do 100% every day. Larger tanks are easier to find heaters for as well. In their current conditions, I dont think your bettas will do "just fine". If you dont have the time to do water changes, weekly or daily, bettas are not for you. I dont mean to offend, but I want whats best for the fish.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 
Algy

Quote:
A half gallon is very small, and not really okay for them. At least a gallon would be best >.< In that size tank, you need to change 100% of the water every day. Whereas, if you get a bigger tank, say a 5 or 10 gallon, you only need to do 50% once a week.
72-76 is too cold, they really need a heater...the neccessary temps are 78-83. Cold temperatures really take a toll on their systems.
Gold fish food is BAD! They need Betta food! Get them Hikari Betta food, goldfish food is NOT meant for bettas, they are carnivores. Nutrafin flakes arent good either, but they dont cater to bettas needs. Frozen Brine Shrimp is fine, a couple times a week only though. Like I said, its actually LESS maitenance with larger tanks, because water changes are farther apart. You cant skimp on water changes in a half gallon, they will die. You need to do 100% every day. Larger tanks are easier to find heaters for as well. In their current conditions, I dont think your bettas will do "just fine". If you dont have the time to do water changes, weekly or daily, bettas are not for you. I dont mean to offend, but I want whats best for the fish.
Ah I see. I do 100% water changes every 2 to 3 days mostly and feed them like every 2-3 days. Yeah I meant to say Hikari Betta bio gold fish food oops. Couldnt really remember the name so I butchered it. Well I appreciate you knowledge and help but talking to a lot of other people and reading up on these fish. They are known to live in small areas. My dad raised A LOT of Bettas back in the day when he was in Asia and he has a lot of expertise in fish. Not saying you dont know anything but I do see what youre saying. I didnt know Nutrafin flakes are good? Man from what I have read every where Nutrafin flakes are okay for them. I guess it could be personal choice? My fish seems like it and eat it up. Well I guess the reason why I think my smaller tanks are easier to take care of is bc I can do complete water changes real quick and do a sweep on the gravel fast while the bigger tanks require the 50% then 100% =\ I guess what Im trying to say its just more simpler if that makes any sense? Yeah I understand where youre coming from. I would hate to see such beautiful things die bc of me. I really appreciate you knowledge.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

Wow, that arowana is GORGEOUS. And so are your bettas! You have a good eye for fish. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Regardless of how much you feed them, in those size containers, you have to do 100% daily, whereas, in a 5g or bigger, ONLY 50% once a week, no 100%'s. Although feeding them daily and fasting for one day a week is what pretty much everyone does xD

And it is a myth that bettas live in small places, they live in very very wide but shallow rice paddies. Taken from Ultimate Bettas:

"The wild ancestors of today's domesticated Betta splendens yield from rice paddies, swamps, wetlands, and shallow ponds in South East Asia. These bodies of water, though shallow, are quite expansive; rice paddies typically span many acres. Male bettas form sizeable territories during breeding season, sometimes as large as a square meter, and are only found in "puddles" during the dry season - a time of year where many bettas will die due to crowding, poor water quality, and inadequate food supply. It is also noteworthy that these bodies of water, though dark from taninns in fallen leaves, are not unclean - plant life provides a sort of natural filtration, and the replenishing of water during the wet season maintains a healthy, clean aquatic environment. The suggestion that bettas or any fish thrive in filthy water is contradictory to logic."

What I'm trying to say is, even though caring for your bettas in half gallon bowls is simpler, if you were looking for a simple pet you should have gotten a rock. Water changes need to be done, there is no way around it. The way I see it, you either empty 100% a day in the bowls you have now, or 50% -using a syphon so its easier- in a larger tank only once a week, it does not take long, trust me. :)

Last edited by bettafish15; 02-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #8 
Algy

Quote:
Regardless of how much you feed them, in those size containers, you have to do 100% daily, whereas, in a 5g or bigger, ONLY 50% once a week, no 100%'s. Although feeding them daily and fasting for one day a week is what pretty much everyone does xD

And it is a myth that bettas live in small places, they live in very very wide but shallow rice paddies. Taken from Ultimate Bettas:

"The wild ancestors of today's domesticated Betta splendens yield from rice paddies, swamps, wetlands, and shallow ponds in South East Asia. These bodies of water, though shallow, are quite expansive; rice paddies typically span many acres. Male bettas form sizeable territories during breeding season, sometimes as large as a square meter, and are only found in "puddles" during the dry season - a time of year where many bettas will die due to crowding, poor water quality, and inadequate food supply. It is also noteworthy that these bodies of water, though dark from taninns in fallen leaves, are not unclean - plant life provides a sort of natural filtration, and the replenishing of water during the wet season maintains a healthy, clean aquatic environment. The suggestion that bettas or any fish thrive in filthy water is contradictory to logic."

What I'm trying to say is, even though caring for your bettas in half gallon bowls is simpler, if you were looking for a simple pet you should have gotten a rock. Water changes need to be done, there is no way around it. The way I see it, you either empty 100% a day in the bowls you have now, or 50% -using a syphon so its easier- in a larger tank only once a week, it does not take long, trust me. :)
Okay... Now Im taking offense to what you are saying. A rock? With all do respect, that was a little harsh dont you think? And how would a rock even be a pet? Its not even a living organism. Your sarcasm is offensive.

I just recently returned a 2.5 gallon tank yesterday. The reason for that was bc of the filtration it had and the current it was giving out. Causing my betta not to be able to swim. I know Bettas cant swim in current bc of their long fins. Plus 2.5 was way too big for just one Betta IMHO. I have two of them and having two 2.5 gallons would be too much. Im not trying to raise a shark nor do I have a high maintenance saltwater fish. Yeah I wouldnt mind increasing it to 1 GALLON. But when you look at what they are kept in at the pet stores.. My 1/2 gal looks way better than those lil plastic punch cups. I know that it would be nice to have a bigger tank for them but I just dont see the point for just ONE lil tiny fish. I could say the same thing for you and all other fish lovers. Im sure whatever size tank you have, your fish would probably enjoy larger. But honestly would that make any sense?

I do 100% water changes every 2 to 3 days but usually I do it every 2 days bc once I see it getting just a lil cloudy. I change it right away bc it bothers me. Everyone just views things differently and do things differently. I find it a lot easier to do 100% water changes with my 1/2 while also cleaning the gravel instead of doing the 50% and 100% change in a bigger tank =\
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #9 
bettafish15

I aploogize for the rock thing, I just dont like it when people want simple pets. Your right, it was kind of harsh.

A 2.5 is perfect for a betta, and you could have just not turned on the filter or removed it. There are also ways to baffle the filter, so that the current is nonexistant. The point for "one tiny lil' fish" in a larger than a 1/2 gallon tank is its happiness. Ammonia builds up in small tanks too quick, which slowly kills them, which is why I mentioned the 100% water changes daily, not just when the water gets cloudy. You cant see the ammonia in the water. I keep my betta in a 14g tank, and hes thrilled. I do water changes of 50% every one to two weeks with a syphon, and it takes me an hour tops to remove half the water and put fresh water back in. You could divide a 2.5 gallon if you have to, so the fish have 1.5 gallons, which is preferable by far to a 1/2 gallon. in a 2.5g, its 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week. I dont know why you think you have to do 50 AND 100% in a larger tank, thats not the case. Only 50% once a week in a filtered 5g+.

I honestly dont mean to offend, and I'm sorry if I do anyway, but I take the long-term health and happiness of the fish over peoples feelings. ;) I have nothing more to say.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #10 
Algy

Quote:
I aploogize for the rock thing, I just dont like it when people want simple pets. Your right, it was kind of harsh.

A 2.5 is perfect for a betta, and you could have just not turned on the filter or removed it. There are also ways to baffle the filter, so that the current is nonexistant. The point for "one tiny lil' fish" in a larger than a 1/2 gallon tank is its happiness. Ammonia builds up in small tanks too quick, which slowly kills them, which is why I mentioned the 100% water changes daily, not just when the water gets cloudy. You cant see the ammonia in the water. I keep my betta in a 14g tank, and hes thrilled. I do water changes of 50% every one to two weeks with a syphon, and it takes me an hour tops to remove half the water and put fresh water back in. You could divide a 2.5 gallon if you have to, so the fish have 1.5 gallons, which is preferable by far to a 1/2 gallon. in a 2.5g, its 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week. I dont know why you think you have to do 50 AND 100% in a larger tank, thats not the case. Only 50% once a week in a filtered 5g+.

I honestly dont mean to offend, and I'm sorry if I do anyway, but I take the long-term health and happiness of the fish over peoples feelings. ;) I have nothing more to say.
Putting the two bettas together is bad in my opinion. They would see each other everyday and that would cause more stress on them. I even read on here with one member having his fish bite of most of his tail due to stress of having a new male betta roommate :/