Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 
Brooke

Unhappy Ok, seriously??

Just had another fish get what I strongly suspect is Columnaris... If anyone read my last post about LuBu, he had cottony stuff in his gills, and on his face. Same darn thing with this fish (although he was also EXTREMELY bloated for some strange reason), I eventually had to Euthanize (Clove Oil and Vodka, though I think he was gone after the Clove Oil), because the meds suggested didn't work, and he was just lingering...

My question is, does anyone know if:
A. City water quality can have anything to do with this regardless of treatments made to the water with chemicals
B. a fish can possibly be a 'carrier' for something like this?
C. algae has anything to do with this, because it seems in any filtered tank I have here I get algae lately

It may sound nuts, but I feel terrible, and am trying to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.. This was a completely different tank than LuBu's 10g (this is a filtered, heated 5g). Same water and treatment of course, I was meticulous about cleaning the thing because I didn't want the same issue again. I also moved the Oto Cat that was initially in with LuBu 1 in with LuBu 2 after I determined he was healthy (quarantined for 14 days). He has also now passed, after I checked on him this morning and he seemed great. I still have my 1 female who is doing great, though she is in her own heated 1g, which leads me to believe it is not the water.

I am going to take LuBu II's remains to the local aquarium store tomorrow, and see if they can determine for sure what it is (I personally researched but I don't want to assume). At this point my husband and I decided to stick with our last female and not get any more, aside from the heartache, I surely don't want to have part in killing off any more fish.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice etc.!!
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
Pekemom

I'm so sorry for your situation and I can completely relate. Sometimes it seems we do everything right and things still go wrong. That's why I re-started this hobby a few weeks ago with one lone female - and that's all I can handle. Sounds like your issue was tank-related, not water-related. Could the algae have anything to do with it?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #3 
Brooke

I was also wondering if it had any connection whatsoever to algae. I did have an algae problem in the 10g before LuBu I came up with it (and eventually passed), and now, a couple months later I have been fighting what was beginning to become an algae issue in the 5g tank. Naturally both were scraped and cleaned as recommended (many times more often), and I would even take the easily assessable decorations and scrub them as well to get algae off.

Both instances it was green algae, so nothing crazy there, and this new house has so much light it is near impossible to find an area that does not get some (though I think in the case of both tanks I had found the best places downstairs).

Either way, I was leaning toward either operator error (aka I am awful at caring for fish), or the Oto Cat that was added with LuBu I shortly (I am talking days) before he got it, and was also in with LuBu II was somehow carrying it without showing signs of illness (until of course tonight, although he SEEMED healthy this morning).
Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
Brooke

Just to see if anyone can confirm or deny Columnaris, since I am sure someone here knows better than I.. Here are some pics I took right before we put him to sleep..

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...a/IMG_3012.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...a/IMG_3010.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...a/IMG_3009.jpg

I kinda want to know since now two different Bettas in two different tanks have now gotten it. The only difference, is LuBu I seemed to have it all around his facial area, where LuBu II it was just sticking out of his gills.. If I know what it is, I can learn to prevent it, and hopefully try the fish thing again in a couple months...

Thanks for any help/advice!!

PS: This is a pic of what LuBu I had:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ia/1210006.jpg
Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #5 
amandiepants

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
if you scroll down and look at the picture of ''ick'' and also ''fungal disease'' and also it seems to me like its ''velvet.'' it looks the most similar. go through those and let me know.
amandiepants is offline   Reply With Quote