Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 
redian

Single White Spec and Losing Color

So after fighting fin rot for a week it seems the rot has finally gone away, but now my little guy has this white spec on his side that I'm thinking is a parasite of some sort. He's still scratching away on the sides of the tank and anything he can find. Yesterday I added some aquarium salt to try and soothe him but the spec is still there. He's also losing color on his underside (see pics)

Housing
2.5 gallon tank
78-80 F
Installed last night, Whisper 3i. It doesn't generate a surface current, just heavy underwater flow downward where its spout is.
The tank is heated.
No tank mates.

Food
I feed him twice a day usually, 3-5 pellets a feeding. I don't feed him once a week now that he has been eating for a week. Whenever I feed him he seems very eager to eat, the pellets don't last more than 3 seconds. The pelelts are Aqueon Betta Food. As much as I'd love to get him some more interesting food, I'm afraid of introducing more disease to the tank at the moment.

Maintenance

Recently, I've been changing his water fairly frequently, 25-50% every two days because of the Tetracycline treatment for the fin rot.
I use a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals, and also has aloe? When I did a 100% water change at the end of the first tetracycline treatment I also added chemicals to establish biological filtration.

Water Parameters:
I have not tested my water, I can't afford a test kit at the moment.

Pictures:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t/100_0156.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t/100_0154.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t/100_0153.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t/100_0152.jpg
redian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #2 
redian

I couldn't find an edit button on this forum (otherwise I wouldn't double post) but as an update, the speck hasn't grown in size at all, nore has the change in color though he seems to be getting more and more lethargic, and with all the rubbing he's doing I'm afraid he's going to tear his fins. Would it be so terrible to treat for fungus with some ick cure if that's not what it is?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

You can get a bottle of "jungle dip strip" test strips from walmart four about ten bucks, I wish they sold them in little packets of five so most people could afford them

I had to s-can companies but I've had zero success with Mardel chemicals and biologicals. Starter bacteria didn't, antibiotics only foamed and so on. They manufacture and ship from europe and most aquarium specialty chemicals are heat sensitive.

The filter addition is good, I discovered you can take a thick ribbon of cloth and pin it into the bottom of the filter under the poly carbon sack then run it out over the output to make the flow drop more directly into the water.

That white spot looks to me more like a torn-out scale but lets assume its white fuzz, ick and other parasites are easy to identify and it doesn't look like them.

Tetracycline doesn't hit fuzz, API calls it "cotton mouth" see if there's any little furriness to the white spot.

Couple other Q:
How old is he?
What condition was he in when brought home?
Which water treatment do you condition with?
Do you use ambient aquarium salt (three teaspoon to one tablespoon per ten gallon)?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 
redian

I'll see if I can get dip strips tonight from Petco.

As far as companies, the tetracycline was API Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand and I'm fairly convinced it's what did the trick for the fin rot. Even my friends (I live in a dorm) comment on how much better he looks.

The filter is a Whisper 3i and I've since raised it out of the water and being that it's bubble powered this slowed the flow considerably.

Regarding the torn-out scale, I don't think it looks indented but raised (I got a couple second opinions on this one that agree)

I don't think it looks particularly furry, more like a MUCH less severe version of this: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=17853 (I've been looking all over for a diagnosis)

I have no idea how old he is, just got him two weeks ago.
When I brought him home he had pretty severe fin rot. I posted about it here if you need a detailed description: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=62069
I had been conditioning with Nutrafin but during the treatment I switched conditioners to Reef Safe Microbe-Lift/Aquatic Stress Relief. It's supposed to remove the chlorine and chloramine, heavy metals, and be soothing for the fish. I grabbed it because it was bundled with two other bottles that I used to jumpstart the tanks cycling after I did a 100% water change following the first tetracycline treatment.
I added 1.5 teaspoons to the tank of aquarium salt because the box said add 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons for enhanced disease treatment. That was on Sunday night, and that was the first time I had ever added salt.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 
Creat

I would get test strips to see the parameters of the water ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Are you trying to cycle the tank with the filter? If you are then that would explain his stress although 2.5 in my opinion is a little small for me to keep a cycle going. And little white dots are usually associated with ich but that looks like a small amount of fungus. And betta dont need ambient salt in their water but for sickness and for the fungus it usually helps.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #6 
redian

Actually, I got the filter because it seemed to be the easiest way to remove the antibiotic from the water aside from a 100% water change which I read could be stressful for the fish and was actually very stressful for me as well last time because I was having trouble catching him to put him in a temp tank for the cleaning. I do suppose though that I was hoping for the filter to help in cycling. As I'm posting he seems to be playing in the return from it, hehe.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #7 
redian

Just a small update: I'm treating with Tetra Lifeguard All-in-one treatment. It says its extremely effective against fungus and ick, and the spot does seem to be shrinking with the treatment, compared to the unchanging spot. It's more gray now. I'm basically posting in case anyone else has the same problem so they know what worked for me. If I don't post again, assume the treatment worked :)
Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

I use lifeguard as well. It's an external medication but be careful with the dosage, at 200% it can sterilize all the bacteria in the tank and cause a spike in the cycle. Not sure what the dwell time is.

For the most part melafix and pimafix can produce the same results but I use them first. Sometimes I use lifeguard with furazine antibiotics (fungus cure/guard tablets). You can use baby socks with bulk carbon in them inside the bubble powered whisper for heavy cleanup, just rinse them thoroughly before use.

My evil camera is slow in coming...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #9 
redian

Are melafix and primafix less costly/weaker? I did kinda feel like the all-in-one was going overboard for something I'm pretty sure is fungus. I cut the tablets in half because its for 5 gallons and I have a 2.5 gallon. They take about 8 hours to dissolve, and the packet says to remove any carbon filtration before treating without making mention of water changes save a 25% change after the treatment.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

Hm, those Lifeguard sound a little old, you can crush them with pliers and shake them up in luke-warm water, same 94 or lower rule as most meds, to speed it up.

The newer ones come with an X scored across the top, one tablet per ten and a life-ring with a net in the middle so they stay up and circulate.

Pima and Mela are natural extracts and are great for treating surface stuff AND stuffed up noses, soothing chests. I've had some boys dislike them because of the strong odor so leave the lid open some if you use them.

You still need to do the mild water change after using them. A lot of people swear by them and the bottle "Bettafix" is a very diluted form of them for people who keep their eye candy in twelve ounce bowls.

(sherbert distracting me, hold on while I gather my thoughts)

Since they cause irritation I think using them for gill infections is kinda not pleasant but they do work well for treating labyrinth issues. Add them to your arsenal, since they're actually natural you can use them regularly.