Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Any ideas on how to ask and not seem pushy?

My roommate has a beautiful blue halfmoon betta. But she changes the water about once a week in a bowl that I think is less that a half gallon even? He is currently turning brown in his face and front hanging fins and he is scratching himself on whatever he can. He also has a piece missing from his tail.

I currently have two male Bettas on their own 1 gal bins that I change everyday. This is their temporary home while the bigger tank is cycling.

I feel bad for her fish and I would like to treat him but I don't want to seem pushy for lack of better words. I thought she would notice I change the water in my bins every night but I guess not.

Its been this way for a while but I just happened to look over on her side today and he look more pale and his fins are becoming translucent.

So my question to you guys is how would you ask politely to treat a fish? Or would you ask at all? She did buy him but I just feel bad that he doesn't get clean water, but is is her choice I understand.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Just say that he seems a bit ill and you'd like to take care of him for her. Then never give him back. lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

I'd just take him. Show her how yours are much happier and that he would be in much better care with you.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
c4talys7

I like both your ideas, I was going to ask to care for him because she's always studying and I wouldn't mind giving up more of my study time to care for him (We're in college by the way). She said she would probably use salt but I don't think she knows the difference between AQ and regular salt. I am unfortunately in class right now. I also considered dividing my 14gal 3 ways instead of two and putting him in there when and if he can recover. And then possibly when I head back to Oregon she might offer to let me have him.

Right now I'm thinking of just changing his bowl when she leaves for class everyday with my pre-treated water. Until I can convince her.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 
c4talys7

On top of that he only has some marbles and a plastic plant in his bowl right now. I'm pretty sure he pulled some scales off scratching himself. If I can I'll get a picture of him.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

When you are changing the water for your Bettas ask her if she would like you to change her Bettas water since you have every thing out at the time...and then say..oh...it looks like he may have an infection or what ever and tell her you have everything on hand to start a treatment if she would like for you to go ahead and start it for her.......just a thought....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #7 
c4talys7

Awesome, thank you for your feed back! It looks like she changed the water when I was at class so I'll bring up the AQ salt with her tomorrow and see if she'll let me treat him.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #8 
bettamaniac

Does he have what looks like gold dust on his body. If he does then he probably has velvet. You said he was scratching himself on his gravel. That is one of the signs of velvet.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #9 
c4talys7

No, I just checked him with my flashlight. No signed of velvet and he seems to be doing better with the fresh water she gave him.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #10 
Goomba3

I was going to suggest what OldFishLady suggested: When you have your stuff out and you are cleaning your tanks, offer to clean her's. Then mention he looks sick. Advise her of how to treat him and offer some of your medications. Best way I can think of.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote