Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #1 
Luliyuhrouwn

Fish is a mess :(

My veil tail Maurice has been going downhill rapidly the past few weeks. He is currently in a 2.5 gallon heated, unfiltered tank, with no tank mates. I'm having some heater troubles right now, but seem to have gotten the temperature steady at about 79-80. I took everything out but one silk plant for him to perch on. He had been spending almost all of his time at the bottom of his tank, with his back half laying sideways against the gravel with his head pointing upward. He would barely move unless being getting fed, and when he did (does), he seems to have trouble keeping himself steady, like his back half is too heavy. I also noticed about a week ago he had a hole in the center of his dorsal fin, and the end of his tail and dorsal were almost ruffled. I treated him for 3 days for fin rot, the hole is closed, but the ruffling on both his tail and dorsal are still present. I did 100% water change this afternoon to remove the rest of the fin rot treatment, and noticed he had some white tufts under his chin and on top of his head. I work at petsmart so I got some tetra medication (the name escapes me) for cotton wool, and started treatment on that.
I also fasted him for 3 days, because I believed originally he had a swim bladder disorder or was constipated. Today, I tried to give him a few bits of frozen pea. He followed a couple bits, but wouldn't eat them. The rest he let just fall to the bottom.
Basically, what the heck is going on?! He's not right, and now he's refusing food. (I tried a betts pellet, just to see his reaction and swam to it, then let himself fall back to his perch)
I don't test the water, I do every other day 100% changes with stress+ dechlorinator, feed him 2-3 times daily, color enhancing pellets, usually 2 each time. I'm so lost. HELP
(sorry for the novel)
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #2 
Aluyasha

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to help him.
Though, if you think he has fungus, then you will want to lower his temp to slow down the fungus. To maybe about 73 degrees. (It is one of the few illnesses that you want to lower the temp)
It does indeed sound like he has SBD. Just keep fasting him (Bettas can go for quite a while without food) and It would not hurt to add some Aquarium Salt. Just do not use it for more than 10 days as it can harm them over time.
You can always give him a epsom salt bath to help with constipation and bloating too.
One of my Bettas had all of those issues at once and he did not make it. I hope your Betta recovers.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 
Luliyuhrouwn

How much salt should I add? How long do I fast him for, until he swims upright/normally? How long does the temp need to be lowered for?
thank you.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

As much salt as it says on the carton for the size of your tank. About 1/2 tbsp for every gallon. When you do water changes, add as much salt to replace the water you just removed.
Fast him for about 4-5 days then feed him a thawed/skinned pea.
Keep the temp low for the entire treatment for the fungus. Also, I have heard that frequent water changes actually make fungus worse. So keep that in mind.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...sorry your Betta isn't well.....

It can be tough dealing with problems when you have multi symptoms.....if it is columnaris he need high doses of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal (sodium chloride) lower water temps 75-76F oxygenated water and for the buoyancy issue he needs Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (magnesium sulfate) water temp 76-77F...fast with both the first 3 days and 100% daily water changes and tannins....I wouldn't do both salts at those dosages-however,... and sadly, this can often be a sign of system shut down too......I would do 2tsp/gal aquarium salt and 1tsp/gal Epsom salt-temp 76F and tannins

Pre-mix the salts in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add tannins from either IAL or dried Oak leaf and steep for an hour-shake well and use this water for 100% daily water changes daily for 10 days...treatment is best done while in a small QT container, bare bottom and floating, attached inside the heated tank-cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to maintain warm/humid air above the water, turn off the light to provide a quiet dim lit area.....good luck and keep us posted.....

Sorry, I just noticed that you also have him on some type of medication.....I would not mix medications and salt treatment...un-sure of the reaction and it is important to complete the medication course before starting a new one unless the OTC medications are not working
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 
Luliyuhrouwn

The medication does not appear to be working, although its only been in the tank for about 24hrs. Also, the water is very cloudy, even though I did 100% change yesterday. The fuzzy stuff is also all over the plant thats in there, can that happen with "cotton wool"? He's already been fasted almost 5 days now. I tried to give him some thawed frozen pea peices yesterday, he chased them a bit, but didn't eat them.
I lowered the temp today, so it's about 75 right now, can I mix the epsom salt and aquarium salt, if I change the water?
He did flare at his reflection today for the first time in weeks, but he got over it quickly, and just kinda let himself hover sideways at the bottom for a while. :/
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #7 
Luliyuhrouwn

im just going to bump this up again, even though its still on the first page.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #8 
Aluyasha

I do not think you should mix the two salts.
And do not be surprised if the petstore meds do not work. They never seem to.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #9 
Luliyuhrouwn

I just want to completely clarify.
I should use 1 teaspoon epsom salt, and 2 teaspoons aquarium salt per gallon TOGETHER for 10 days.
I do not have tannis.
He has already been fasted for 5 days, I tried to give him a bit of the inside of a pea, he wouldn't eat it. So what do I do about that?
The meds aren't working, so I'm hoping to start this treatment tonight. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

I do not think you are supposed to mix the two salts. Try the epsom salt treatment first, as it should help more.
I am not sure what to do about the feeding. I hear garlic juice makes Bettas want to eat.