Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 
VTAb182

Finally got my tank set up! (wondering a few things though)

So after getting TONS of help from various members on the forums, I finally get my tank set up. All that's left to do for now is get suction cups to mount the heater on the back wall. The tank is 2.5 gal, in case you're wondering.

From left to right (first pic) is a fake plant, a water wisteria, and a "tropical fern plant". Because the plants float I stuck the roots of the wisteria under the skull decoration and the tropical fern's roots were more in a slug shape so I stuck them in the opening at the top of the barrel decoration. Will having the plants like this kill them? I couldn't get them to stay using just the glass stones in there. I do have some black gravel, but I switched to glass stones because the gravel was a pain to take out and clean. Would you really recommend going back to gravel so I can put the plants in the substrate?

The second pic shows my light setup. It's just a 13W daylight CFL in a spotlight-type holder, with a piece of paper to it's not too bright in my room. Does that look like a good height to you, seeings as it's 13W for a 2.5gal tank? And how long should I set the timer for to be on each day?

Please post any comments or suggestion you have, and thanks for looking!

(Sorry for the large picture sizes! I'm not sure how to shrink them)
Attached Images

VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I like you tank!!
It's awesome how you not only decorated the inside but the outside as well... creative!

edit...
Ideally, betta's should experience night and day. I just turn on the light in my tanks when I want to look at my fish... otherwise some fish wont sleep and that can cause all sorts of health problems.
I have some fish in my kitchen who are on a backwards clock because the light over them provides them heat at night and my kitchen is completely dark when the light is off even during the day.

Last edited by vilmarisv; 02-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 
fishman12

Nice Tank, and good pics! You should go back to the gravel, It helps promotre growth. You could get a small siphon vac to claen the gravel. They are usually $4-$8.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 
VTAb182

I found a compromise! The plants came in plastic tubes with a small plastic base filled with gel. I removed the gel, put the wisteria in, and filled it up with gravel. So now it's like it's planted in gravel but the tank still has glass stones. There is some of what looks to be scotch tape holding two pieces of the plastic base together... is that bad to have in the tank?

Should I do this with the tropical fern too? Because that seems pretty solid in it's current location
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 
turtle10

Most likely. The chemicals from the adhesive on the tape could slowly leech out.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #6 
turtle10

Oh and you don't plant tropical ferns. You can tie them to a rock or driftwood but if you bury the root thing it will eventually die.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #7 
VTAb182

Good to know! So it's okay if the bottom is open but the sides of the roots are held by the hole, right?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #8 
turtle10

Yeah, that is how one of my ferns is. The ferns have the thick horizontal root thing and then tiny brown roots that stick out of it. You can only plant the tiny root hair thingies, not the big horizontal root. The small roots are too tiny to plant so I find it easier to just get the fern to stick somewhere. I have one tucked in between the glass and a rock.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #9 
baylee767

That tropical fern is a java fern, one of the hardiest plants there are. You just can't cover the thingy... I think it's called a rhizone or something... as stated above. It doesn't even need artificial lighting...

BTW, your plants seem pretty low light and you have some pretty high lighting. 3 or 4 watts per gallon is high lighting. You'll have some algae problems, so be prepared. Goodluck!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #10 
VTAb182

Someone on another forum had said that the 2W or so per gal rule gets thrown way off in tanks lower than 10 gal so I went with the 13W light, but now I am actually thinking it's pretty bright. Do you think I should switch it with a 9W?