Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #21 
Abby

all pet stores have issues eventually fish wont live forever :).
One pet shop never has live bettas here, they are always dead or so far gone.
my pet care (im in australia so we dont have walmart/petco etc) ive pointed out like three dead bettas in the course of three years and all my current fish are from there only lost one, but she was sick to begin with.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #22 
scootshoot

While the store manager is responsible to oversee the whole store, he/she can't be everywhere. Ultimately it's the employee who are manning a particular section of the store to keep up with needed maintenance.

At my local petsmart there is this young kid who works closing on weekdays who knows his stuff on fish and plants and when you talk to him one can sense he really likes his job as he is always enthusiastic. On the weekends some female is handling the fish section, let's just say she seems more interested in collecting her pay check and getting the fawk out of there.

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #23 
Pekemom

Wow, Cassandra - three and a half years later!! That's great fish care!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #24 
Cassandra90

Thank you!
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #25 
MelKurtonic

We got one Betta from a Petsmart about an hour away from us and he's pretty laid back but also active most of the time. The other we got from Petco... the two goldfish we got from a new walmart and they seemed healthy the two betta are doing well so far one we had 2 days and the other since last night we've had the goldfish for about a week now with no problems but we did have a pleco we got from Petco die on us two days after we got him regretfully. petsmart and petco both have guarentees that if your fish dies within 15-30 days (depending on the store) you can return them for a new fish or a full refund. We didn't return the pleco or get a new one because I was afraid he would die too :(
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #26 
puppyrjjkm

It is the individual store. Petsmart protocol is to clean and feed betta cups 2x a week, that's it. And if they are sick they are supposed to treat in the sick room with bettafix. Maybe the person whose duties are to care for the bettas, just isn't doing their job.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #27 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKurtonic View Post
petsmart and petco both have guarentees that if your fish dies within 15-30 days (depending on the store) you can return them for a new fish or a full refund.
AWWWW our shops dont have this. but when tamina was sick before she died i called them and they said they would replace her. which was good :)
she passed away that night and i picked up a male CT for $3.20 the next day (i paid the difference in female and male ct price rather then replace tams with a similar looking female)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #28 
iheartmybettas

I always have some Walmart story... I went to Walmart today on my lunch break to get a couple of thermometers and took a quick look at the bettas. Sad as usual but someone I guess decided they wanted to see 2 fight. One cup had 2 bettas in it and 1 of them was dead. It was a sad sight. I know Walmart is bad but that was ridiculous. I haven't ever seen anything like that anywhere...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #29 
jessiepbg

I got both my boys at my local petsmart. I love the way they care for their fish, the tanks and cups are always spotless and everyone is the right amount of active for their species. I often have to lean over someone cleaning betta bowls to look at new arrivals. They have a few super knowledgeable fish people who have saved my tanks on multiple occasions over the last few months. I wish I could say the same for my 2 nearest Petcos though. The people are knowledgeable, but the tanks always look dirty and there's often a sick or dead fish in each. The bettas don't fare any better. While the cups don't look awful, they never seem to be as active and I've seen nearly dead fish sit on the shelf for days. They seem to buy a lot younger, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'd think an older fish would handle being shipped better than a young one.

By the way, has anyone noticed a betta drought lately? Even my favorite petsmart only had a total of 7 bettas last night and the petco had about as many the other day when I was plant-shopping. Both these stores usually stock upwards of 25 at a time.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #30 
Alexandrite

I'm in Australia, and was in a pet store this afternoon looking for prices for heaters (and got a thermometer for my new bettas), and saw all the lovely bettas looking absolutely miserable in tiny plastic cups :(

When I lived in Canada, my parents had a massive aquarium with goldfish which we got from Walmart. For the first while of having them, we spent much more on fish medication than we did on the fish! Every time I went there, they had at least one dead fish somewhere in their display tanks..
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote