Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 
DaMustang

Anyone have experience with this heater?

I was considering going out and picking up a Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watts, tomorrow for my guy...just realized I've neglected to check his temperatures in a long while and he could really use something like this. On paper is sounds great, but the reviews are 50/50 on the extreme ends so I was wondering if anyone here had personal experience with it? My guy's in a 2.5g bowl, I was hoping to tuck this in under the gravel, but wouldn't have any problem sticking it on a side as long as it'd to do the trick!

More Details:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12177656

edit: sorry, meant to post this under the aquarium board!

Last edited by DaMustang; 02-14-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: wrong board
DaMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I highly recommend you STAY AWAY from this!! I bought it and used it as directed and it worked, only barely, for about 3 weeks, then decided to crap out and only keep my tank at 74, IF THAT! D:

I know some people have had good experiences with it, but I was hesitant and now regret getting it... :c I have a marineland 10w for up to 3 gals in my 5gal and its great. I paid only $18 with my Petsmart card!

Wewt.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #3 
DaMustang

Oh jeeze am I glad I decided to go on and ask about this tonight! Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check into that brand instead (or at the very least stay away from that tetra submersible )
Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

This was the first heather I ever bought because I didn't know better...
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not the best choice. I live in South Texas so water temp stays warmish at room temp and this heater keeps the water between 78-80 degrees. I don't use it in my tanks because I don't like how it fluctuates but I still use it in the tank I age water in.
For a few more dollars you can get one you can adjust... but don't forget to get a thermometer!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #5 
DaMustang

I'm up in Ohio so in the summer it's no problem at all...and this winter started out fine, up til the family realized I was hoarding a lot of the heat in my room, and now I've caught temperatures in the low 70's more than anything else and Pedro's been acting a bit more sluggish and tired. :( I'll be sure to hook something up for him ASAP, thanks again for the tips! :)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 
Betta Guy

Hi, I'm new here. Been keeping fish for about a year, started with some Oscars, now I am keeping a betta as well. But, I agree with Mustang. Go with Marineland products if possible, all my aquarium equiptment except for my filter is marineland, always had great results.
Betta Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

I have the smaller version. I've used it for months in my 2.5 gallon and have never had a problem, but I don't know about the bigger size; it seems to generally get worse reviews.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #8 
naturegirl243

I got one from Wal-Mart and it was AWFUL it had like a short or something and kept turning on for like two seconds then turning off for like two minutes then back on again so it didn't keep the tank warm.I took it back and got a refund.I heard bad things about it on here and asked about on here I know alot of people that have had problems with these but I have also seen people that use these and they work it's hit or miss I know I would never buy one though.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Yeah, if you try and send it back to tetra they make you pay shipping, which is like more than the heater itself. LOLOLOL
Soooo bad ^~^;
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #10 
gardengirl13

The heater we use is awesome!!! We tried the auto set ones and we woke up to a tank that was 86 instead of 78! Yikes. Yanked it out and returned it ASAP and bought the Top Fin 25 watt heater. They're harder to find, we got ours at petsmart. We also have the 2.5 gal tank, and the temp is dead on accurate!
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater temperature