Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #1 
lostmyz

Possible Bloat

So I came home today and took a look at popeye and it looks like his belly is fairly large. I had this problem once before overfeeding him like a total of 6 of those small betta pellets. Didn't feed him for 2 days and he was back to normal. Since than I have cut his diet back down to like 3-5 pellets a day. Trying my best to limit him to 3, but my GF who I bought the fish for likes to feed him cause he's always at the top of the tank. I tell her not to but I can only control that so much.

So popeye is in a 5 gal tank with a bunch of live plants and this time they are all fully aquatic and hes got adequate filtration, probably over filtration with the orignal middle filter and a new small AZOO backpack filter with carbon/ammonia/ceramic balls and a course and fine foam. I am also suppose to add a CO2 system this week for the plants. There are also about 9 nerite snails, some reproduced from my original 5 (they are pretty small like 2mm in size). But damn do they make a ton of poop.

So I guess my question is do i treat my tank for bloat or do what I am thinking. Waita day or two w/o feeding him and than treat. Also hes got one scale kind loose but he's had that for a while from before when there was a cory in the tank that picked on him at night when he slept. I thought it would fall off but hasn't. But its been there long before I seen his stomach grow out.

Thanks
lostmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you need to stress to your gf that overfeeding will make the fish sick. Bettas can and will literally eat themselves to death if allowed. When he gets bloated, fast him for a few days, then feed him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote