Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 
ChibiSpeck

Question Another first time owner with questions

So, I bought a betta around 3 weeks ago and I've been keeping him in a .5 gallon bowl with no heater and no filter. I know his bowl should be at least 2 gallons and that he should have both of these things, but being a poor college student, I can't get out and get one currently. However, I do have plans to upgrade him to a bigger tank with a filter during spring break (which is about 3 weeks from now), but I'm worried he might not last that long in his current living conditions, even though he's very lively and bubblenesting a lot.

So with all of that in consideration, are there any recommendations or advice on what I can do to make him even happier and better his current living conditions until I can upgrade? I've had really bad luck with other types of fish in the past, and I'm worrying day and night about this little guy, even though he seems healthy.

Help please? (One last REALLY dumb question, can bettas live in tanks with lids? I know they have to take in oxygen from the surface and I wasn't sure if a lid on a tank was a good idea, but then again...I'm kind of new at this...)

Thanks!
ChibiSpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 
DaMustang

Hi there, welcome! :D I would say make getting him into something larger a priority, even a cheap solution like small tupperware that's larger might be nicer for him even if it's not the fanciest thing out there. As for lids, I'm sure any store-bought lid would ventilate properly.

Personally, my 2.5gall came without a lid so I went out and bought a cheap folder with stiff, clear plastic on the top and cut out a perfect little circle, hole punched around the edges and set it on top and you can hardly even notice it! Just don't forget to make sure and give him holes if you go the tupperware or any other make-shift route, but remember that bettas can also jump if you don't have one!

Best of luck with your new betta!
DaMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiSpeck View Post
So, I bought a betta around 3 weeks ago and I've been keeping him in a .5 gallon bowl with no heater and no filter. I know his bowl should be at least 2 gallons and that he should have both of these things, but being a poor college student, I can't get out and get one currently. However, I do have plans to upgrade him to a bigger tank with a filter during spring break (which is about 3 weeks from now), but I'm worried he might not last that long in his current living conditions, even though he's very lively and bubblenesting a lot.

So with all of that in consideration, are there any recommendations or advice on what I can do to make him even happier and better his current living conditions until I can upgrade? I've had really bad luck with other types of fish in the past, and I'm worrying day and night about this little guy, even though he seems healthy.

Help please? (One last REALLY dumb question, can bettas live in tanks with lids? I know they have to take in oxygen from the surface and I wasn't sure if a lid on a tank was a good idea, but then again...I'm kind of new at this...)

Thanks!
With a tank that small I would do a 100% water change daily. In my opinion, the heater would be more important than the filter, as long as you can keep up with water changes. I would get a critter keeper and a heater.

http://www.petco.com/product/12031/P...t=OnSiteSearch

I believe some of the critter keepers go up to 2 or so gallons.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A.../dp/B0006JLPFE

For now, make sure he is a nice warm area in the house, away from drafts and keep up with water changes.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 
ChibiSpeck

Thanks for your responses! One of my friends is lending me a 2 gallon bowl until our break. Hopefully I can get out soon and get him a small heater, too. :)
ChibiSpeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time owner