Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #1 
1bcmc

Elliott needs your advice

I am new to this forum even though I am often here reading threads silently, Now to the problem.
My daughter has owned Elliott for 1 1/2 years and we have had no problems with him until now. He has always lived alone in a 10 gallon cycled tank with the following parameters. Water is always 80 degrees, we do a 20 % water change weekly. Water is usually the following with little to no change.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 or below

We have always used Aquarium salt in the water and at water changes.
Elliott has always been a good eater and always curious and seemingly happy. About 4 weeks ago we noticed his color seemed to be getting duller, but nothing else was out of sorts. 3 weeks ago we noticed what appeared to be rust or brownish color on his body with no other symptoms, we took some photos and took them to the fish store to show the manager in the fish section. We were told that it looked like it "might" be the start of something and to add a little extra salt to the aquarium and do a water change.

A few days later we noticed Elliotts normally full flowing fins were kind of clamped and hanging near his body and his scales on his side seemed to be getting lighter and he seemed to be laying around and only excited during feeding time so I took some pictures (which are posted in my album dated 2-7-11) and took them to the fish store and the clerk said it "might" be velvet, I purchased some Rid Ich Plus and started Elliott on it 2-9-11 starting with a 50% water change and also upping the temp to 84 degrees, and keep his tank covered from the light.
Since then I've performed daily 30% water changes and after the fourth day of treatment Elliott seemed to perk up, no longer laying on the bottom of tank, still excited to eat and interested in whats going on during his water changes but his fins are still clamped and I see little change in his actual appearance other than maybe a little more bluer in the areas not infected.
I have posted a photo album on this site with pictures that are dated, the last ones being taken a few days ago.

My questions are, does this look like a case of velvet or was he misdiagnosed?. Should I be treating him for a secondary infection? and if it is velvet how long does it take to rid the fish of the disease?.

A lengthy first post but I don't know what else to do, Elliott has become a part of the family and we are at wits end and oh so sad to think he might be hurting.
I was able to add 4 pics, the first two are from the 7th and the last two are from the 14th.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide in our battle to cure Elliott.
Attached Images

1bcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 
1bcmc

To add, we have also always used API's Stress zyme and Stress coat although we did use Prime as a dechlorinater for a short while, but have since gone back to using the Stress coat.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 
FuulieQ

Poor guy! He looks like he's getting old. I don't see the characteristic "gold dust" look of velvet so he probably doesn't have velvet, but I'll let the more experty people take a look at it. Anyway it seems like the treatment is helping him so keep it up for now until someone more knowledgeable logs on and answers your question. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #4 
1bcmc

Thank you for the response, It was hard to photograph the rusty color since I was using a flashlight, the picture looking down to the top of Elliott in the 1st pic is where it's more pronounced. I just hope I haven't wasted 7 days of treatment when it could be something else.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
Aluyasha

Normally how you tell if it is velvet is by shinning a flashlight on him and seeing if there is a "gold dust" look to his body.
IMO, I think he is just getting old. Like dogs and people, when we age we lay around more and with Bettas there colour can dull from age aswell.
Beautiful fish BTW!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #6 
kfish

:( That color loss is so weird... So striking in the third picture.

How much salt have you been adding? Some say it can cause organ failure after long term exposure, but others have used it forever with no bad effects. I honestly have no idea if that would cause any of his issues. I can't think of anything I've read like that.

Maybe old age? Not sure if he'd clamp up like that, though... Also weird that his color has come back in a few places.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #7 
1bcmc

Thanks to everyone who has responded..

I have used salt since we purchased him, 1/2 tsp per gallon. Do you think I should quit using the salt?. This all seemed to come on so fast, it was like one day he was fine and a few days later he was like this.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #8 
1bcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Normally how you tell if it is velvet is by shinning a flashlight on him and seeing if there is a "gold dust" look to his body.
IMO, I think he is just getting old. Like dogs and people, when we age we lay around more and with Bettas there colour can dull from age aswell.
Beautiful fish BTW!
Thank you, about a week or so into his illness I checked him with the flashlight and although it really doesn't show in the picture looking down from above him is the closest I could get to showing the gold / rusty color from his head back to his tail fin. Since treating him with the rid ich + I have noticed that the red color on his head has dulled and his body may be getting a little bluer so maybe he's turning the corner for the best.

I never thought I would become so attached to a fish but Elliott has such a personality it's hard not too.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
redbettagirl

I almost wonder if your betta has a Costia infection. It's rare though, and I'm not sure that's what it is. I read somewhere that the flagellate has become immune to high salinity, which might be why adding aquarium salt is doing little good.

Symptoms:

Infected fish have soft, film-like skin turbidity. A grayish white film of excess mucous covers the entire body of the fish including the eyes. Severe infestations can lead to skin inflammation and deterioration. Reddening of the skin and bleeding, most often occurs on the underside of the mouth and the pectoral area of the body. Sick fish often rub or scratch against objects in the aquarium in an attempt to relieve irritation. Severely infected fish may become reclusive, listless, lie on the bottom of the aquarium and stop feeding.

Treatment:
Commercial medications are available, formalin being the most common active ingredient; copper sulfate and potassium permanganate are also used. These aquarium fish medications should be used as stated on the packaging, paying particular attention to dosages, durations, supplemental aeration, and the removal of carbon from the aquarium filter before treatment (if necessary). (Found here: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...e-disease.aspx)
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #10 
1bcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbettagirl View Post
I almost wonder if your betta has a Costia infection. It's rare though, and I'm not sure that's what it is. I read somewhere that the flagellate has become immune to high salinity, which might be why adding aquarium salt is doing little good.

Symptoms:

Infected fish have soft, film-like skin turbidity. A grayish white film of excess mucous covers the entire body of the fish including the eyes. Severe infestations can lead to skin inflammation and deterioration. Reddening of the skin and bleeding, most often occurs on the underside of the mouth and the pectoral area of the body. Sick fish often rub or scratch against objects in the aquarium in an attempt to relieve irritation. Severely infected fish may become reclusive, listless, lie on the bottom of the aquarium and stop feeding.

Treatment:
Commercial medications are available, formalin being the most common active ingredient; copper sulfate and potassium permanganate are also used. These aquarium fish medications should be used as stated on the packaging, paying particular attention to dosages, durations, supplemental aeration, and the removal of carbon from the aquarium filter before treatment (if necessary). (Found here: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...e-disease.aspx)
Seems to have a lot of the same symptoms but if I'm reading it right costia is also called Ich. If so I'm treating with Rid Ich so it should help. Thanks for the link, a lot of information there.