Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #1 
Urchin

Betta REALLY unhappy with new heater???

Hi guys,

A few posts down I voiced my concern for my betta who was seeming inactive. You all helped me determine that his water was too cold and that he needed a heater.

So I purchased a heater. Yesterday I hooked it up. This morning when I came into work, he was laying lethargically on the bottom of the tank. Normally upon seeing me, he would get excited and swim around, but since putting the heater in, nothing. He usually has a great appetite, and today NOTHING.

I am REALLY worried. I did a water change and the temp in the tank is at 74.

I am devastated. I am so worried that now that my little guy has a heater, that I've done something wrong. He seemed just a little inactive before, and now he is motionless. He only moves to get air from the surface.

Can anyone help!?
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

I think the only reasons why he would be bothered by the heater is if the temperature in the tank changed suddenly. Did you help him get used to the temperature changes?
That or the heater is broken.
Do a 25 percent water change, if you have a test kit you should test the water and see if there is any problem there.
How big is his tank? Do you have a filter? And is it cycled?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 
Urchin

There is no filter. I do 50% water changes weekly and suck out debris every couple of days.

The tank is 2.5 gallons. The heater is fine and the temp was increased quite slowly yesterday.

I did a 50% water change this morning in an attempt to help the poor guy out. I also turned off his tank lights to reduce stress.
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #4 
demonr6

So wait, with the heater the temp is 74 degrees? Max is rather new still and he is in a 3 gallon tank, twice weekly 50% water changes, filtered and the heater is at a steady 79-80 degrees and he is quite the active, happy little guy. Everyone who stops at my desk is greeted and he dances around for them. The colder the water the more lethargic they are is what I understand.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #5 
animallover4lyfe

Two things: 1) the temp "74" is still low try to aim for 79-80 degrees. All of my tanks are steady 80 degrees.
2) if you didn't get him used to his new temp slower by floating him and slowly adding more of his new temp water then he could be on shock and possibly might die, it's happened to me before depending on if the difference in temperature between old water n the new is a big difference
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 
chelsmarie23

If it is because of your heater, he might just need to get used to it. He was in a cup in a pet store and you didn't have a heater in his tank before. Maybe he just has to get accustomed to his new water temp. :)
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #7 
kfish

Do you have live plants? If not, ammonia is building up in your tank since you have been changing 50% of the water. You're removing half every time, but the other half still remains and accrues. He might be upset because of bad water quality.

If doing a 100% change isn't feasible (since it seems like you have him at work), do 50% every day for a few days, then set up a schedule of 3 50% changes per week. If you can do 100% changes, do 1 50% and 1 100% per week.

Either way getting some live plants will help! Anubias and java fern (tropica fern at Petsmart and Petco) can be tied to your decorations with string (you shouldn't bury them in substrate). Hornwort and wisteria are fast growers, and can be floated or weighted down in a tank (don't have to be planted in substrate). All of those require little light and can be removed if you have to do a 100% change.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 
demonr6

Here is tank Max lives in. I keep him here at work. He gets a 50% change twice weekly but like kfish mentioned I have live plants which really help out with the ammonia. I test the water the day before the water change so I know how I am keeping up with the quality before the change in case I need to rethink my strategy. So far it has been almost two months and the quality has been excellent. No cloudiness, no out of control algae.. nothing.

I have one Java Fern, one Anubias, four mini Marimo and one funky moss ball. Somewhere in there is a stupid ghost shrimp unless Max ate him again. I have not seen little antenna sticking out of his mouth so.

I have an overhead light on but that was only for this pic, I use the tank light that came with it which is a much bluer 6500K light that I run during the day.

Shoot me a PM if I can answer any questions or be of assistance in any way.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #9 
demonr6

Yes, it has a lid.. clear acrylic and I took it off for the pic only.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #10 
kfish

That is one big java fern! Wow. Looks nice. :)

I have that bridge. XD
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote