Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #1 
misamiania

Lightbulb New To Tank Betta

I'm new to Betta's in tanks with filters and heaters. I use to be the person who didn't know any better :/ My betta, Mr. Ed, was kept in this.

He only had one tree and a bridge in there. For awhile he was quite content, then again I'd be content if I was in anything bigger then what they are kept in for ages till someone buys them. Through him I learned a lot more about keeping Betta's. Unfortunately my knowledge was too lately learned and he died. I had purchased a 1.5 gal for him (filter and heater) and he was doing a bit better. He delighted in swimming around a bit but he didn't survive very long. I'm just glad I could let him have a good long swim before he went to fishy heaven.

With my new knowledge though I wanted to try again. By this time our walmart no longer sold fish, period. Which I was happy about... and sad. I could no longer get a betta. So after looking around I found a pet shop that had them. To my delight they were all in clean water. An only a small speck here or there of yuck. Compared to any other place I was happy. First I saw Zebo

However after peering around I then saw Eco

Fell in love with both of these guys. They both had too much spunk to just sit in a small bowl for their lives. So Bought them both. Ran to walmart the same day and bought another 1.5 gal set up so they now both have their own heated and filtered 1.5 gal set up.

Thought I was golden, the tanks ran for 24 hours with heater and filter before I let them rest in the water to get use to it. Let them out and Eco believes he is now the cats meow and Zebo is just meandering around. He adored his heater though.

Here is there new tank set ups, after a little accident with the previous plastic plants (I was ready to cry when Eco snagged his tail and Eco looked beyond insulted and has been pouting for a day can't blame him). You can see the plastic ones that snagged his tail in their pictures in the right corner. So I swapped those out with similar ones on the left. Even Zebo is happier. Then again that may be do to his cup too. When I did a 50% water change on his tank yesterday I let his cup just float around. Left came back and he had a bubble nest in there... needless to say his cup is now a permanent fixture.

(Eco's new set up. You can see where his fin ripped )

(Zebo's tank, you can see his plastic cup floating)

1.5 gal is now small for my taste after being on the forum for less then a week or so. Though I can't get anything bigger untill I move. An at that point my goal is that both will have their own 10 gal tank. I'm dreaming big for them!

Untilthen I want them to live happy. So is there anyone who can see anything wrong? Comments suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated!
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I cant see a heater in either of the tanks... bettas need to be kept at a temp of 78-83F :D Cute fish!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 
misamiania

You can see the heater in Eco's tank. The first tank picture. It's in the back right corner! Zebo's is in the same place. I've learned my lesson on them needing heated tanks! Though their tanks are kept at 76F. Do you think that's too cold? Every time I've looked at the thermometer it's at a constant 76F
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

It looks like there are small Tetra heaters behind the plastic plants.

Looks pretty good to me; bettas love to have caves to hide in, so I'm not surprised your guy loves his cup! Eco would probably also like a cup or some sort of cave.

Definitely be careful with plastic plants; as you know they are notorious for ripping fins. I use silk plants just to be safe. You can do the pantyhose test: run the plastic plant across pantyhose, and if it snags them, then it will likely snag bettas' fins.

Make sure you condition your water with a conditioner that removes harmful chloramines, this is very important for fish health.

How often do you/are you planning to do water changes? In a small tank like that they would probably need changes every other day, or every two days; the smaller the tank the faster ammonia builds up.

Good luck!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #5 
misamiania

It looks like there are small Tetra heaters behind the plastic plants.

Yep, that's what's there.

Looks pretty good to me; bettas love to have caves to hide in, so I'm not surprised your guy loves his cup! Eco would probably also like a cup or some sort of cave.

Definitely be careful with plastic plants; as you know they are notorious for ripping fins. I use silk plants just to be safe. You can do the pantyhose test: run the plastic plant across pantyhose, and if it snags them, then it will likely snag bettas' fins.

It's actually the plastic see through cup that Zebo adores. I've looked around for Eco to have a cave but I've done a finger test and I feel sharp edges. I am not putting those with my betta! I'm still looking for something for Eco. I guess I just wanted to keep the bridge in with one of them since it was the only thing Mr. Ed really loved. But I'm intending to take it out when I find something for him.

Make sure you condition your water with a conditioner that removes harmful chloramines, this is very important for fish health.

Yes, I do have conditioner. :) It was the first thing I bought, then I looked at tanks.

How often do you/are you planning to do water changes? In a small tank like that they would probably need changes every other day, or every two days; the smaller the tank the faster ammonia builds up.

The fish were placed in last Friday and I did their first water change yesterday. Shame on me :( however I intend to do it every two days. (I have my phone alarm set! An every other reminder I can imagine so I do it religiously)

Good luck!

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....your setups look great and so do your lovely Bettas....nice find.....

In 1.5gal filtered tanks I have found that twice weekly 50% water changes will maintain water quality....1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning with a vacuum or stir and dip method....provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed after feeding....

Your water temp is fine....76-80F

When you make your water changes be sure and keep the replacement water within a couple of degree between new and old water so not to cause temp shock and always use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the tanks....also, you don't have to remove the fish when making the water changes-be sure and unplug both the heater and filter before starting and once the filter is turned back on the water should clear within an hour...be sure an monitor the temp for a couple of hours after water changes.

Be careful with too much stuff in the tank...especially the clear plastic cup, although he may like it...you don't want any accidents with him getting trapped and then not being able to get to air.......

Look forward to hearing more about your Bettas and seeing more pics....again welcome to the forum......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #7 
misamiania

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....your setups look great and so do your lovely Bettas....nice find.....

In 1.5gal filtered tanks I have found that twice weekly 50% water changes will maintain water quality....1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning with a vacuum or stir and dip method....provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed after feeding....

Thanks for the tip on the water change :) An yes I only put one pellet in at a time. If it's not eaten I take it out. , what's the vaccum and stir method? oh sorry stir and dip... Basically stir up the gravel and catch the yuck that comes up? I do do that.

Your water temp is fine....76-80F

I thought so but someone said 78 - 83F and I got worried.

When you make your water changes be sure and keep the replacement water within a couple of degree between new and old water so not to cause temp shock and always use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the tanks....also, you don't have to remove the fish when making the water changes-be sure and unplug both the heater and filter before starting and once the filter is turned back on the water should clear within an hour...be sure an monitor the temp for a couple of hours after water changes.

I do my best to keep the water temps the same, and I do treat the water. I actually use the cup to take them out. Pour the water in, then place them and the cup back in the tank. Wait for the water to reheat to 76F since I unplugged the heater, then let them back in. Is that okay?

Be careful with too much stuff in the tank...especially the clear plastic cup, although he may like it...you don't want any accidents with him getting trapped and then not being able to get to air.......

When I let him back into the tank and just had the cup floating I probably watched him for a few hours... ( >> I'm not addicted to watching them... I'm not... I swear... ) He was confused at first but after he figured it out he'd doing find. An I check on them both regularly... Pretty sure if they could run to the door like my dogs I'd give them attention first! haha

Look forward to hearing more about your Bettas and seeing more pics....again welcome to the forum......
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Haha whoops, I didnt see the heaters!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 
misamiania

That's okay :) I actually had to do a double take in the picture. Which is awful because I know that I have them in there! haha
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

I had that tank for a long while! Nice little things, they are.
As a suggestion, or at least from experience, that filter does nothing, like not at all! D: Just wastes space and that darn airrator makes lots of noise lol! I removed mine, and so have lots of other members.
I also kept that little feeding hole covered in blue painter's tape to keep that extra bit of heat and condensation in, and since it wasnt super sticky I could take it off for nom time! It managed to keep it a degree or so warmer, which was nice because my darn tetra peice of crud only kept it at 72!
D:
Cute though, like lots! <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote