Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #11 
misamiania

I had that tank for a long while! Nice little things, they are.
As a suggestion, or at least from experience, that filter does nothing, like not at all! D: Just wastes space and that darn airrator makes lots of noise lol! I removed mine, and so have lots of other members.

I saw that post where everyone was saying they took the filter out for this tank. Does it change the amount in which I should change the water? I'm going to be doing it twice a week.

I also kept that little feeding hole covered in blue painter's tape to keep that extra bit of heat and condensation in, and since it wasnt super sticky I could take it off for nom time! It managed to keep it a degree or so warmer, which was nice because my darn tetra peice of crud only kept it at 72!

I've noticed the condensation quite a bit. It almost creats an issue when I go to take the lid off. Though once everything is finally set, except for water changes, it'll be less. I had decided to cover it with something just wasn't sure. Painter's tape works well you say?

An I guess I've gotten lucky with my heater! I have a tetra and every time I look it says 76F

Cute though, like lots! <3

Thanks!
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Welcome!
And yeah, I hear you on that- the condensation drips like mad, but I would lift it but the side and allow it to drip before removing the lid. I wouldnt say it effects you WC schedual. I did smaller, more frequent changes throughout the week with a full 100% change on Sundays and rinsed off of everything for months and it worked well, too. (Alle was a sickly little thing, so I was paranoid lol! Better now!)

I have an orange dalmatian, too, btw ;D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #13 
misamiania

How often did you do a full 100% change?

He's so pretty! Does yours think he's the cats meow too? Cause oh boy does Eco! He may have been in his tank but the way he swam it was like he owned my room! An even though he'd been in the little cups, not sure how long, when I set him down beside Zebo at the check out counter he was flairing and puffing up. All I could think was "yes! He still has it!"
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

If you have a filter you don't need to do 100% water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #15 
misamiania

So as long as I keep the filter I won't have to do 100% water changes?

I'm hoping to cycle my tank. Though I learned a little too late what it really meant. When I first read a comment about it I thought it just meant to let the water run with the filter for 24 hours. But now that I know what it really means I'm going to be buying that master test kit thing.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #16 
misamiania

Better pictures of my fish!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #17 
Thunderloon

Don't knock the little air powered tetra filters.

This filter only provides aeration and carbon/mechanical filtration. The carbon filtration is the only one I'd insist on for a betta.
The filter does not support nitrate cycle but can easily be modified to do so.

Two concerns with the filter are intake force and the output flow force.
I don't consider "noise" a negative as its just excessive hardness in the water making the bubbles have to be huge to form.

I'm waiting on my camera so I can write several illustrated articles on filter modification for below budget cost, this little one is a true gem once modified.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #18 
misamiania

That's good to know about the filter! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for those articles :)
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #19 
PewPewPew

You cant cycle a 1.5, it wouldnt work, or at least not that Ive ever heard/been told..

And really OFL? I didnt know that.
Regardless, I liked to get rid of all the poopies and whatnot so I did the 100% once a week on Sundays, with other changes through out the week. The tank was too small for the siphon I had so I was like MEH! Just clean it out all the way lol XD

And LOL, I totally knock that filter. Mine wasnt great, it fell apart too. I kept the airator and use it with my bubblestone for Alle. <3 Its loudness just added to my distain for it, ha. And it was the airator that's loud, it goes bbbzztttttt.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #20 
misamiania

Really? If that's the case when I do a 100% water change I'll probably take the gravel out if you can't cycle 1.5g Maybe put some rocks or marbles down instead...

So then would you suggest to not have live plants in a 1.5? I've been contemplating it.