Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #1 
Veronica

stress induced color changes?

Not sure if this is the right thread so apologies if not....

We have a new fish. I have been trying to really study him/his colorings so I will be quick, hopefully, to notice any changes. He is a ice blue with red tinged crowntail (I think!!). I am paranoid about fin rot, etc. so when I noticed he has white edges on his fins I freaked. I notice it more first thing in the morning. The white is extremely unimform along the edge of all his fins in a very thin line and I've noticed that the colors of his fins become more intense (for lack of a better word) after he's been fed his a.m. feeding. Is it possible it's just a betta stress thing? I am so new at this I'm not sure I'd recognize fin rot but I'd like to know more so I can jump right on it if it were to happen.

He's currently in a 2.5 gallon, filtered, heated at 79 - 80 tank by himself with minimal stuff in it. Filter will be baffled in the next couple of days. He seems very happy, energetic and always HUNGRY. Practically sits up and begs for food. The pix of SBD keep me from overfeeding. He gets 3 pellets 2x a day. We've only had him a week and he's only had one day of fasting in that week. His water is to be changed today for the first time.
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 
demonr6

Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of really nice people here that are always willing to help out and answer questions.

I received a new addition to our betta family yesterday and he was a little off color but after a few hours acclimating he changed colors to his vibrant red/black. I have noticed when they are stressed they can change colors pretty much on a dime. All of mine tend to go pale. I have not experienced the streaks of color like some. That would probably freak me out but at least I know what could cause it now. Once they get used to the surroundings and you, it should all be fine. Don't stress too much on the color changes else you will become a betta hypochondriac and post the littlest things. "OMG my betta is swimming only on the left side of the tank and wont' go to the other side, is this something bad?" You don't want that.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 
Veronica

Thank you so much, noticed too about this issue on related threads I found listed on the bottom of the page. So helpful. Didn't know there were so many things to be on the lookout for :o)) Definitely don't want to knee-jerk react and medicate/change w/o need - be that hypochondriac LOL.

Razz is the coolest little guy just want to do right by him. I swear my dog is waaay easier to care for :o)
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 
demonr6

Keeping the water clean, warm and making sure they are fed correctly and that pretty much gets you 90% of the way there.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I believe the uniform white on his tail edge is probably just his coloring. If you could post a pic, it might help us make sure. :)

Also, it isn't uncommon for a fish to be slightly pale first thing in the morning.

Sounds like he is just fine so relax and ENJOY!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of really nice people here that are always willing to help out and answer questions.

I received a new addition to our betta family yesterday and he was a little off color but after a few hours acclimating he changed colors to his vibrant red/black. I have noticed when they are stressed they can change colors pretty much on a dime. All of mine tend to go pale. I have not experienced the streaks of color like some. That would probably freak me out but at least I know what could cause it now. Once they get used to the surroundings and you, it should all be fine. Don't stress too much on the color changes else you will become a betta hypochondriac and post the littlest things. "OMG my betta is swimming only on the left side of the tank and wont' go to the other side, is this something bad?" You don't want that.
Ditto this- a great tattletale of my guys state of comfort.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote