Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

A little fall....

On Satuday I was cleaning my tank and I moved my beta into a little bowl. I was being stupid and moved her over to the side of my desk so I wouldn't knock her over I wasn't watching but them I heard a big SPLAT! She wasn't in the bowl so I looked behind the desk and there she was. I managed to save her (thank god!) and got her back in the bowl and under my watchful eye until I got the tank back together. So I got the tank clean and put her in it. I haven't been noticing anything out of the ordinary. She is eating fine and acting like she always does. But, today I noticed that she had a cut above her eye. I am guess it was from the fall. It was about 3 feet onto a hard wood floor. :(. Here is a pic. Is there anything I should do? Any medications, special foods? Or is it ok to heal on its own? Thank you so much!

BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 
Abby

i use melafix for wounds, and waterchanges. but when dastan knocked a few scales off headbutting little snail Crash he healed in to days on his own
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Ok thanks. Do you think it would be okay to try and let it heal on it's own? Does it look really bad? Sorry about all the questions, this is my first betta. She eats a vareity of foods (flakes, freezedried bloodworms and pellets). I dunno if that helps.....
Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Very pretty girl you have....I would just step up the water changes for a few days (50% daily) and watch the area...be sure and keep the water temp in the low normal range (76-77F) to be safe until she heals...

Fresh clean dechlorinated water is often the best medication......

Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #5 
Abby

yeh i kinda freaked out when dastan hurt himself too lol, i was about to leave on an overnight trip and saw it and almost canceled the trip lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Ok I will be sure to keep you posted. I only noticed it last night and I was dying to post, it really freaked me out. By the way, I have a 2 gallon tank.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Ok well today I didn't really notice any different. If anything it got better. The only thing is that the area around the cut seems a little red and irritated. Is that normal?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

It sometimes can be...just watch the area and keep up with the daily water changes and if it appears to be getting worse I would do aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes...its best done while in a small QT container that can be floated (attached) in the heated tank (76-77F range) for 5-10 days.
If the area look pretty angry or she start to show any behavior changes I would go ahead and start the salt treatment.

If you pre-mix the aquarium salt in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated like temp water- it is easier to make the 100% daily water changes and give the correct dosage....you can even steep Oak leaves or IAL in the treatment water for added benefits....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Well she is acting normal, I am pretty sure. Anyways, I will keep you up to date.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Would it be okay to start treatment now? I don't want things getting out of hand...And will the salt hurt my MS?