Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

It won't hurt per se...but if you do the salt treatment make sure and use the proper amount 1tsp/gal and put her in QT along with the 100% daily water changes for at least 5 days...this way if she has any reaction (rare) to the salt you can put her back in her tank and make 25-50% water only on her tank a couple of times while she is in treatment and right before you put her back in her tank too......but if she is acting okay....she may not need the salt treatment....but it won't hurt either for peace of mind.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #12 
BlackberryBetta

Thanks for the help OFL. I think I will start treatment just in case. She seems a little sluggish. The QT tank is like a .5 gallon. Is that okay? I just don't know how I am gonna heat it...
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

The small containers that a lot of Bettas are sold in work great as QT...but anything will work that is small enough to float in the main tank to maintain heat...be sure and attach so it doesn't sink....
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #14 
BlackberryBetta

Ok, I'm not really sure what to use.... I threw out the cup that I got my betta in and I don't really have anything. I don't think that I need to put her in QT I have noticed that the area looks a lot better and will probably be healed up by next week. Anyways, I will keep you up to date! Thanks again OFL, you are so helpful!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #15 
BlackberryBetta

Bad news guys, it appears to be spreading. There is now 3 little white marks that look like cuts. They are right above one another. I promise to post pics when I get home. I am going to start treatment right after I get back home. The aquarium salt that I have is goldfish salt. Does that matter? I really don't want her to die!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I have never heard of goldfish salt...but I would think it is sodium chloride...but check the label to be sure......
Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #17 
BlackberryBetta

It is called aqaurium salt but just says goldfish on it. Anyways is there anything specific that I should pick up at the petstore?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I don't use the OTC medications so I can't recommend anything like that....all I use is natural methods, but the aquarium salt should work just fine none the less....look and see if they have any tannins of some sort if you don't already have some on hand...I think it is called blackwater extract or something like that....made from Indian almond leaves.....

Is she acting any different or just new marks on her.....
Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #19 
BlackberryBetta

She isn't acting any different, only when I put her in my DIY QT tank...She is acting kinda slow and sluggish as I said, could the dosage be to much?? Anyways I don't know how good my whole QT tank thingy is. It is a sandwhich baggy with little wooden sticks woven through the top and hung from the top of the tank... It seems big enough. will the plastic hurt her or anything or and I overreacting? I would have posted pics, but they aren't uploading right.

Last edited by BlackberryBetta; 02-18-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelled some things wrong....:P
Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #20 
BlackberryBetta

I have her in QT but it seems fine, I am not sure whether to release her back into the tank today or not...Maybe I will just wait another day for it to heal up. Anyways, She is eating and acting normal. Soon (not sure when) I am upgrading her a a divided 10 gallon (so really a 5 g for her!)! It will have a filter and whatnot so water changing won't stress her out. So excited!