Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Red face Oh oh ammonia where'd you go?!

Ive been trying (emphasis on trying..) to cycle my 5-5.5 (lol!) gallon Marineland Hex tank with a bio wheel filter and marble substrate since around mind january.
I keep my ammonia lowish, .25-.5 but rarely that high, and never any higher becuase Alle lives in there, and now so does his bestest buddy (and occasional punching bag..) Olive the snail!

I bought anarchis and a java fern to add to my two small annubias plants to make the tank purrrddyyy, and now there's tons of plant life in there! Anarchis out the waaazzzoooo @_@

My question, even if I leave the tank for 3 days, when the ammonia would normally be .25+, it always shows 0! Always! @___@U I use API liqiud tests, but its always 0 D; Are the plants nomming all the ammonia , and does that mean my tank wont cycle since there isnt ammonia for the bacteria?

Or does that mean that theyre aiding in the cycling? If so, how?! @_@ Ive tried researching into it, but its often fruitless and confusing.

Thankies :3

If tl;dr...

(Tank is at 80-82', marbles, one male betta, one snail, 2 annubias, a ton of anarchis and eventually a java fern, with a bio wheel filter and flouresant lights, at 5 gallons.) :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

My tank isn't quite cycled but I have plants. Plants will use some of the ammonia so it can take longer for the tank to cycle with plants. Have you tested for nitrites or nitrates?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

take water to local fish store or get some Jungle quick dip test strips.

If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and more than zero nitrate, yell "yay for bio-wheels" and enjoy your aquarium.

Slowly increasing nitrate is a sign of cycling.

Remember that proper maintenance of the bio-wheel is quite tedious and complicated, follow the following steps;

1. Don't touch it unless it stops turning. If it does, spin it by the end-cap and check your water level.

Seriously, that's it.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-16-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spilled privius rasin four edeting rong.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #4 
Arzela

Anarchis is an ammonia eating machine! Your plants are definitely using up some of the ammonia in the tank.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I know about the levels, etc, and quite a bit about my bio wheel, but was mostly just wondering about how the plants affect it and if the 0 ammonia is at issue for the bacteria..they need noms too XD
I dont have a pet store anywhere near here, and strips suucckkk D; But I have em, and might use them, but dont have many and dont want to waste them because I doubt the tank has cycled/has nitrate/nitrites...
hmmm.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
Thunderloon

... yay bio wheels!

So you've done API two-chem ammonia test and the nitrite test and gotten zeros?

I cycled a bio-wheel in less than three hours once. Cost me $14.00 to do it but the lady was sooooo happy.

They're miraculous little things, those wheels. They take anywhere from twelve to forty hours to wet up then a heartbeat to start growing bacteria.

You can't get away from nitrate cycle bacteria, I could scrape some off the bottom of my car's rear bumper. You're cycled.

If you don't have the nitrite/nitrate tests I'll bet you a bottle of dip strips from Big Al's to replace the one strip you use if I'm wrong.
Have the camera ready tho, its the internet, pics or it didn't happen!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

I have the API double-drop kit for ammonia, and then jungle strips for the nitrate/trie and everything else, but I dont have many and its a paaainnn for me to get over there to get more (and expensive!) so Idk if I wanna waste the strip when I doubt I have them T-T;
Idk what the nitrate/trite levels are, but ammonia is certainly at 0.

Idk, maybe Ill do it /__\ I hate living in a dorm and having no stores nearby!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

My nitrate is pinkish, but only very slightly so. All others at 0, all other params at normal. Pics as soon as Picasa stops being an idiot with my pictures.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Name:  2011-02-16_20_16_12.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  32.7 KB
Pinkish- more so as the 60 seconds recommended went on. Wewt.

Name:  2011-02-16_20_14_53.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  52.3 KB
And all the ones that need to be white ARE white, just hard to see! LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

Cycled. Maybe just but I guarantee it is.