Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 
ikooltoo1331

Need help treating cotton wool

I've had my betta for almost a year and he has a spot on his side where his scales had fallen off, and now one starting on the opposite side I got melafix and pimafix to treat him, as well as salt. This morning he had the cotton wool growing in the wound. He also has some white spots that appeared.
He has been in this tank for about 6 months and its a three or five gallon tank and the water probably isn't the ideal condition but this is the first problem I've ever had with a fish. He shares the tank with a snail but I think it died.
I have looked at many sites to try to help him and they all say something different.
What is the best way to treat him.
Any help would be appreciated.
ikooltoo1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....have a few questions....

In this 3 or 5gal tank-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used....when the snail died did you make a water change after you removed the body?

With cotton wool...depending on if it is fast moving or slow moving the Betta may or may not survive......most common cause is from poor water quality that brings on stress that in turn compromises the immune response...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 
ikooltoo1331

Thank you for the help
I just got home and he didn't make it.
ikooltoo1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....hope to see and hear about your next Betta....don't get discouraged.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote