Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 
Veronica

Question Do I need to baffle my filter?

Another newbie with a thousandth question....

I have a 2.5 Aqueon Minibow (I think) with filter. Do I need to baffle that filter? The current doesn't seem to be too strong and Razz seems to enjoy playing in it occasionally. He's also found a spot behind the filter where he likes to sleep and has built himself a bubble nest; I'm guessing because it's where there's the least flow.

Tank also has gravel, one artificial plant and a very small 'statue'. Planning on getting him a structure where he can hide, if wished.

If I need to baffle would an aquatic sponge be better or the plastic bottle method I've seen posted?
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

definitely go with the sponge. My fish cut a piece of his fin off on the bottle. I also think the sponge baffles a lot better, plus it helps hold in the good bacteria.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #3 
scootshoot

The more popular way on this board is the sponge method. Very easy to setup, just get an aquatic sponge and rubberband, safer on the fish and it creates another area for beneficial bacteria to thrive.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 
Veronica

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. May have to order one as Wal Mart (shocker) doesn't have any and our mini version of Petsense doesn't either. Have a mom/pop pet store where we got Raspberry aka Razz (more popularly called Phttbbbfft! in our house with 2 boys). Hopefully they'll have one....
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. May have to order one as Wal Mart (shocker) doesn't have any and our mini version of Petsense doesn't either. Have a mom/pop pet store where we got Raspberry aka Razz (more popularly called Phttbbbfft! in our house with 2 boys). Hopefully they'll have one....
If they don't, I see them on ebay quite frequently so you might be able to get one pretty cheap there..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
c4talys7

The plastic bottle works pretty well if you have your water level a couple inches down. I would prefer the sponge but I am currently in Hawaii and no pet store here seems to have one. So if there's no other choice I think the bottle would work fine. Could also sand the edges smooth too.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote