Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #11 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
They're all pretty much the same I imagine. I got one from walmart for $8. Works great. Keep in mind that gravel vacs are for cycled/filtered tanks. In small unfiltered tanks when you do 100% WC's you need to take out the gravel and rinse it thoroughly.
Put the gravel in a 3L water bottle with a baby bottle brush and shake it like you want its lunch money. Just tap water and violence. Fingers over the neck to drain, repeat the wet violence, done.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-17-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Threw in commas till one stuck.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #12 
VTAb182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
They're all pretty much the same I imagine. I got one from walmart for $8. Works great. Keep in mind that gravel vacs are for cycled/filtered tanks. In small unfiltered tanks when you do 100% WC's you need to take out the gravel and rinse it thoroughly.
Can anyone else confirm/deny this? I have a 2.5 gal planted tank that's unfiltered and uncycled. I might pick one up anyways to help some with the gravel and for easier water changes.
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #13 
Airplane

VTAb182, I'll confirm it.

Airplane is in a 1 gallon right now while his 10 gallon is cycling. I have an extra glass bowl that I used when I had a betta years back. I put him in the glass bowl when I change the water and rinse the gravel in his 1 gallon.

I only use the gravel vac in the 10 gallon when I was cleaning the fish food that I introduced so that I wouldn't have an insane amount of ammonia or crud at the bottom of the tank. My prospected bio load won't be big enough to need the excessive amount of fish food that I used to start my cycle.
Airplane is offline   Reply With Quote