Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #1 
Pekemom

Betta Babysitter

My new betta tank is stabilizing and things are settling down. I'm really enjoying Brooke and we're finally in a nice routine. In mid-March, I'll be out of town for nine days, leaving the care of my new fish in the hands of my husband - not a fish guy by any means!

He's willing to feed Brooke and top off the tank. Maybe turn the light on in the evenings but that's about it. I'm nervous! Have you had a friend or relative care for your tank? Any advice?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
Abby

when we use to go to the farm my bf would leave a list of instructions for his very non fish dad, eg: this many of this food at this time of day"

his lights were on timers so it was automatic :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Hmm - timers! Clever!!

Good idea on the feeding. I'm thinking of making packs for each day I'm away. Sounds crazy, but I'm afraid he'll overfeed - that's so easy to do. I'll also put a water level mark so he can top the tank off daily.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 
Abby

good idea :) those little daily pill sorters would b e good where each day has its own lid he can pop the lid and tip it in :)
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 
Pekemom

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind, Abby!! =))
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #6 
Abby

:)
Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #7 
Goomba3

When I had Goomba (RIP), I went away for about 5 days and had my very non-fishy friend take care of him. I mean, she can't even grow a plant. I took Goomba, his tank, and his plant over to her house, re-filled the tank, and let her watch him for 5 days. (She also had cats.) I wrote out a page of instructions, what she should do and what she could do "in case". I came back and he was still as handsome and happy as ever. His little fins were just a beating, he missed me. So there were no problems when I left my boy in the hands of a non-fishy person. But the next time I left (6 months later) for 9 days and left him in the care of the people I was living with, he died. So it depends.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #8 
BettasForever

Agreed; write a list of to-dos and be very specific. If you're going on vacation, let the nice weather get your mind off things. So glad that you're enjoying betta keeping. Good luck!
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 
Pekemom

Yikes, Goomba~ you just scared the heck outta me!!!! Think I'll have to Skype with my fish every night to make sure she's okay. I'll make a list, pre-prepare the food, keep it simple and PRAY!! =)) Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 
Goomba3

Sorry Pekemom! I think the reason Goomba died is because I moved him out of my room into the living room. In my room he wasn't in direct sunlight. Where he was in the living room, he had direct sunlight. When I got back, Cheep-Cheep was still alive (luckily), but his water was all cloudy. I think it was just such a drastic change in water conditions that killed Goomba. Just keep that in mind.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote