Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #1 
Kiena

Dying plants?

I'm not sure what type of plants I have in my betta fish tank... I'm actually a newbie when it comes to betta fishes and a friend showed me this website. Now, I recently changed my betta into a 1gal filtered tank vs the rounded vase he was in. During the change, I noticed some dead spots on the plants that a friend gave me. I'm not sure what the plants were other than they grew really fast... should I be worried about these spots? Almost looks like caterpillars have invaded. >.>
Kiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #2 
baylee767

Can we get some pics? Because we can identify it, and I can think of a few problems, but I'm not sure without pics.
Also, what's the light wattage/kelvin rating? What type is it?

How often do you do water changes?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
Kiena

Can we get some pics?: Yeah, I just installed a Mardel live reader so that yall can see that stuff as well. I'm a newbie and really don't know what I'm looking for so when I saw that, I figured all that info would be best.

Also, what's the light wattage/kelvin rating? What type is it?: I don't honestly know. Where do I look to find this out?

How often do you do water changes?: About every 10 days or so in the still water bowl, but how often do I need to do water changes in the new filtered tank?

Pics coming soon, just waiting for the readings to show up on the Live reader.

Also, is the live readers good? The lady at petsmart was very enthusiastic about it, since he sits on my desk where I am all day.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 
fishman12

Sorry, I don't know what a live reader is. You should up your water changes to 100% every 1-3 days. How are you getting light to the tank? (Window, lamp, etc.)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 
Kiena

There is a built-in lamp in the hood that stays on 24/7.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #6 
Alex09

We need pics of the plant. And lights should not be kept on 24/7. That is BAD! Only 8-12 hrs a day.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 
Kiena

Pics

Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #8 
Kiena

Also, I don't have a heater for Blu yet, and I'm seeing (after reading this forum) that one is really needed. Since he's in a 1g tank for now (I just switched him to this tank and I'm worried about moving him to a big one after making him the move to this one) and I'll move him eventually to a larger tank (perhaps 5g), but would this heater do well in this tank and last long enough to keep his current tank warm enough until the new tank is set up? http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...8249878&sr=8-1
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #9 
Kiena

Have I killed these plants? D:
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #10 
Marona

They look fine to me. Problem is that they need food. And you don't have a fish in there for them to food off of!

The ammonia that is lmao. Uuuh. You can build ammonia by putting in some of the food like your feeding the fish. There's also plant food tablets sold at fish stores that you put in the gravel.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote