2 wheat pita bread
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 dried basel
1 cup of torn fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1 small tomato
Sliced olives(I omit them, don't care for olives.)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F, place pitas on cookie sheet. Brush pitas with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic, basil, and oregano over pita and oil. Slice tomato thin and lay over pita with spinach. Sprinkle feta cheese over the pitas. Place in oven let cook for 10 mins to 15 minutes or until desired warmth. Let cook for a minute and cut into pizza slices. One pita will feed one.

* I let mine cook until the feta cheese is soft and starting to melt.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #142 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Ingrediants:
2 wheat pita bread
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 dried basel
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1 small tomato

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F, place pitas on cookie sheet. Brush pitas with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic, basil, and oregano over pita and oil. Slice tomato thin and lay over pita with spinach. Sprinkle feta cheese over the pitas. Place in oven let cook for 10 mins to 15 minutes or until desired warmth. Let cook for a minute and cut into pizza slices. One pita will feed one.

This sounds nummy, cept the Feta cheese... not a big fan. Is there a way to use a diff. cheese w/o ruining the "Greek" of it?
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #143 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Ingrediants:
2 wheat pita bread
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 dried basel
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1 small tomato

Directions:

Pita pizza is awesome! I make mine with soycheese. Sometimes without the cheese and it is still yummy.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #144 
Cassandra90

I have heard of some people using parmesean cheese.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #145 
bamsuddenimpact

maybe goat cheese?
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #146 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh man! D8 SO MANY PIZZA RECIPES. I wish I wasn't on a diet! ;_; *pokes salad*

Weeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll I have a pretty bangin REALLY cheap black bean burger recipe, a delicious vegan cookie recipe, and my favorite red beans and rice recipe (both with and without meat, you'll have to wait for this one though).

Black Bean Burgers:

(Use frozen chopped onions thawed in the microwave! =] no chopping and no crying! Cuts prep time in half! =])

Ingredients
  • 1 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/4 cup dry breadcumbs
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup bottled chunky salsa
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • Vegetable oil
  • 2 whole wheat hamburger buns
print a shopping list for this recipe
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Lianne/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Preparation
Using fork, mash beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons salsa, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into two 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Brush barbecue rack with oil. Grill burgers until heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Grill cut sides of buns until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer burgers to bottom halves of buns. Spoon 1/4 cup salsa over each. Cover with tops of buns.

I tweak it a bit though. I use three tables spoons of HOT chunky salsa, add corn usually about a 1/4 cup, some chopped green or red pepper (orange if I'm feeling creative and I'm not adding carrots), a few extra full shakes of hotsauce, (can you tell I like spicy food? XD), a few extra shakes of cumin, and of course I add enough bread crumbs to keep it from being too wet. Sometimes I add copped or minced celery, other times carrots (pre-steamed or blanched) but usually it's just the onions, corn, and peppers because I always have those. ;]

Vegan Cookies:

Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
(recipe from VegWeb)
2 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (the recipe calls for half but it tastes better with a whole. and sometimes more. trust me. ;])
cinnamon, to taste, optional ( I ALWAYS put lots cinnamon in mine. =])
handful vegan chocolate or carob chips (ghiradelli semi-sweet is vegan. Trader joe's semi-sweet is also vegan)
1 cup raw sugar (turbinado; sucanat works too, but sucks up a lot of the moisture) (I usually use plain white sugar. I know it's bleached so it's not SUPER vegan but if you go Vegan police on me I'm supply you with a "haters gonna hate" gif. ;])
1/2 cup melted vegan margarine (the recipe calls for veggie or canola oil. That's flavorless though and your cookies will be bland so I use margarine. makes them taste more like regular cookies. I use Earth Balance but if you can find one without Palm Oil I encourage you to use that as you'll avoid destroying the rain forest. Palm oil is in more than just Earth Balance btw. Read your labels folks! ;])
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (recipe calls for 1 teaspoon but I add extra. =] )
1/4 regular soy milk or almond milk (again, recipe calls for water. no flavor in water. go for the soy or almond milk and you'll be better off. ;] If you use vanilla soy milk then avoid the extra vanilla I mentioned earlier)
1 tablespoon molases (this is not in the original recipe but it doesn't really alter the taste (I daresay it makes it better, though molases alone tastes bad) but it DOES make the cookies a nice golden-brown color that you don't get without it. Vegan chocolate chip cookies don't chage color while baking (no egg) so this is important for me, and thus for you. <3)

Directions:

1. Very important-make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. It will work if they're not at room temp but it works much better if they are. Also while your oven is pre-heating put the cookie sheets you are going to use on top of the oven so they get preheated as well. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in chips. Make a well in the center and set aside. In a medium size bowl, add together sugar and oil; mix well.

3. Add the vanilla and then add the water; mix well. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix it well but be careful not to overwork it. Add more chips if you need to.

4. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes and then flip and rotate the sheets (top to bottom and 180 degree rotation). Bake another 4 minutes and check them. The cookies are done when they seem a little bit softer then you want them to be. They will harden up some as they cool. I usually go in 2 minute increments from here until they get to where I like them.

5. Take them out when they are done and move them to wire cooling racks. If they split or come apart when you try to remove them let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to the racks.

These cookies have come a long way, lots of time and tasting spent on getting them to where they are now. Vegans and non vegans love them. In the words of my 6 year old son:Mom, you're the greatest because you know how to make the best cookies. Enjoy and let me know if you have questions. Sweet travels.

Serves: almost 2 dozen; Preparation Time: 10 minutes; Cooking Time: 10 to 12 minutes

I'll also post this cookie recipe in the Vegetarian/Vegan thread. =]

I've given omnivores these cookies all the time and they love them. I tell them afterwards that they're vegan and they're surprised! XD

OH!!!! The best thing about the cookie dough?!?!?!?!/ YOU CAN EAT IT STRAIGHT FROM THE BOWL. There's no risk of salmonella (research how salmonella effects you and kills you. uncooked eggs have a high salmonella risk, these don't! <3) so you don't even have to bake them! XD They're safe for people of all ages to eat whenever they want to even kids can have this so if you're a parent you don't have to feel bad about your little one eating cookie dough! =] It also goes well in ice cream (or rice cream if you're vegan. ;]) and can be used for ice cream sandwiches. =]

Oh gosh.... now I want cookies... and I have all the supplies........ >.>; Must. Resist. Temptation. ............... yeah. I'm baking first thing in the morning now.

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 05-16-2011 at 01:07 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #147 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it's great that we've added some vegan recipes to this thread.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #148 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayBetta View Post
Ceaser noodles!

1 Bag Rotini Pasta
1 Bottle of Rene's Ceaser dressing
1 med onion
6 strips of bacon
Parm Cheese

Cut the 6 strips of bacon into small pieces and brown. When cooked put the bacon to the side, Caramelize Onions in the same pan that you cooked the bacon. Cook noodles. Once the noodles are cooked and strained add dressing, bacon and Onions. Plate, sprinkle parm cheese on top. Serve warm!
Both are VERY yummy!
This sounds sooo good! Especially since I'm a HUGE sucker for Rene's Caesar dressing. I could probably substitute the bacon for chicken instead!

Btw, does anyone have any good recipies for spaghetti bolognese? I've been craving some for a week now, but I want something that's a little different from just the standard meat sauce + spaghetti.

Oh, but nothing with pork please.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #149 
Wyvern

Butternut and Sweetpotato soup
1kg butternut - diced
1kg sweet potato - diced
1 large onion - chopped (I left it in large chunks)
a handful of peeled garlic - dont chop it
2 cubes of either chicken or beef stock
herbs and spices (I used the ina parmans vegetable stock - 3 heaped teaspoons)
a tablespoon of butter for some richness
you can add greek yoghurt or cream or buttermilk if you want - the veggies was creamy enough that I didnt bother with it.

Just boil all the veggies in a large pot with enough water to cover the veggies.
Once its all soft and cooked thru (took about 40mins for me) I just blitzed it in a food processor till smooth. Then scooped it into ziplock baggies and froze it.

Made about 8 -10 portions (we kept tasting and eating some of it when it was ready while we waited for it to cool to place in the bags.)

Its a very filling healthy lunch that keeps you full till dinner! And its really yummy! (Ive had it 4 days in a row now and still cant get enough of it)

You guys will just have to change the measurements to what ever you use :P
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #150 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Butternut and Sweetpotato soup
1kg butternut - diced
1kg sweet potato - diced
1 large onion - chopped (I left it in large chunks)
a handful of peeled garlic - dont chop it
2 cubes of either chicken or beef stock
herbs and spices (I used the ina parmans vegetable stock - 3 heaped teaspoons)
a tablespoon of butter for some richness
you can add greek yoghurt or cream or buttermilk if you want - the veggies was creamy enough that I didnt bother with it.

Just boil all the veggies in a large pot with enough water to cover the veggies.
Once its all soft and cooked thru (took about 40mins for me) I just blitzed it in a food processor till smooth. Then scooped it into ziplock baggies and froze it.

Made about 8 -10 portions (we kept tasting and eating some of it when it was ready while we waited for it to cool to place in the bags.)

Its a very filling healthy lunch that keeps you full till dinner! And its really yummy! (Ive had it 4 days in a row now and still cant get enough of it)

You guys will just have to change the measurements to what ever you use
:P
Awesome! I love butternut squash soup. This sounds so good.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote