Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #191 
ZackyBear

I decided to give cinnamon rolls another try. The first batch I tried, the recipe didn't have a step for activating the yeast and I didn't know. It turned out horrible. The bread was hard, the sugar caramelized and stuck to everything...

So I gave it my second attempt. Instead of measuring I went with my gut. Only to find out that we had no eggs!

Not really in a good mood that day, I skipped the egg and continued and ran out of butter. So I couldn't brush a bit over them before baking...

I had my doubts, especially when they came out of the oven. They looked so unappetizing so I sprinkled them with some powdered sugar and pecans.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79692583@N07/7139868447/ (The large rolls on the back pan were the edges. I stuffed them with Jam! :D)

this was the final result. My mom was eager to try them and I was beyond surprised when the spatula easily cut them apart. And then when she took a bite her face lit up! I tried one myself and it tasted delicious! Perfectly gooey and sweet~.

Next time I will get the recipe perfect (with egg AND more butter!). Though I do love it without the egg so far xD

Last edited by ZackyBear; 05-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #192 
kfish

My boyfriend and I (okay, mostly just him ;) ) just made this in our cast iron grill pan! It was awesome.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-chicken/

A picture of ours:

kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #193 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mmm, looks yummy!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #194 
ZackyBear

+1 to that. I drooled when I saw the picture.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #195 
kfish

It was crazy good! We use pure olive oil to season our cast iron and used it to coat the chicken, as well. I think the recipe needed double the spice mixture amount, 'cause it didn't completely cover both breast halves. It'd probably be even better seared on the grill instead of on the stove, since it creates some smoke, even with high smoke point (non-extra virgin) olive oil, lol.

---

Something else I make a lot...

These peanut butter cookies are AWESOME. I only use natural peanut butter, and they're amaaaazing. There's no flour in these, they're gluten-free (we don't eat gluten). It's just peanut butter, sugar (I use pure evaporated cane sugar... tastes so good!), egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. And they're so much better than any other peanut butter cookies I've ever eaten! And easier to make, haha. Last time I made them, I made them with chunky peanut butter (I grabbed it by accident at the store!) and they were especially awesome that way.

If you make these, make sure you let them cool a decent bit before trying to move them. These are even more delicate when they're hot than most cookies.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-pe...er/detail.aspx

Some of mine (one is upside down to show off the bottom, lol, and I MAY have taken a bite out of it ;) ):
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #196 
cjayBetta

Mmm i know what im making this weekend!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #197 
dramaqueen
Banned

*drool drool * They look wonderful and healthy too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #198 
kfish

Lolol I'm eating some now ;)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #199 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Thanks a million for the PB cookie recipe kfish. We're trying to minimize gluten in a lot of what we eat and these look awesome!

Can't wait to make em!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #200 
thekinetic

Not tute my own horn but I make one heck of a coconut cream pie! ^_^

Coconut Cream Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups whole milk
4 eggs
3 Tbls. butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut

In a medium saucepan add sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in milk and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook for 2 more minutes. In a seperate bowl, seperate eggs. Discard the white and beat the egg yolks.

Now temper the yolks by quickly mixing a cup of the hot mixture in. Now add the egg mixture back into the saucepan and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook this for 2 minutes. Remove it from the heat and add the butter, vanilla, and coconut and stir.

Pour this into a prebaked pie shell and cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill, over night works best.

Now for the whipped cream:

1 pint heavy whipping cream
4 Tbls. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. gelatin
3 Tbls. water

Disolve gelatin in water, then set over a double boiler and heat only until the gelatin melts. Now let this return to room temperature.

In a chilled bowl, set over ice, mix cream, sugar, and vanilla. Begin with a hand mixer and then add the room temperature gelatin. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.

Now set in the fridge if needed but if you let the pie chill overnight simply top it with the whipped cream and some toasted coconut and let chill in the fridge or enjoy then.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote