Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #11 
Kestrel

I've kind of run into the same problem myself. I knew they needed more than one so I got two which apparently still is not enough for those grouping instincts. To make it worse, I thought and was told that an albino and peppered cory would see each other as a group, now I have heard differently though and that that only works if they're the same species. They aren't, and it was too late for me to return them, and I can't get any more because my tank is already a bit overstocked from the guppies that I also couldn't return.

I'd sell or even give them to someone with a tank nearby if I could. But I have no idea on shipping fish so hopefully they will be fine.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #12 
Kestrel

Oh, also, I really think the normal gravel should be fine, just as long as there aren't a lot of sharp, jagged, or rough edges for them to ruin their little barbels/mustaches on.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #13 
Bettaluver4evr

They aren't sharp at all, when you run your fingers through the gravel you can't even feel anything sharp. Benny has adjusted well and is very good at moving rocks around a bit to get his food. I've been giving him pellets and 3 different kinds of flakes as well as a few bloodworms, and he's very happy! I'm sorry about your situation Kestral. I can still return Benny, luckily, but I don't want to! The tank is larger than it looks, and because it has a filter and a heater it is always crystal clear and I do partials all of the time. The tank doesn't seem crowded at all. :(
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #14 
shinybetta

Corydoras really need sand. If you went camping, would you choose sand, smooth rocks, or sharp rocks to set up your tent on? You would choose smooth rocks over sharp rocks, but sand would be your favorite option. And corydoras really love sand.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #15 
jessiepbg

My cories are doing well on my gravel-like plant substrate, no missing barbels or scratches on their bellies. I don't have sand in there because my betta would eat it and get himself sick.

I really would recommend not keeping one by himself. I had a big pH swing in my tank shortly after it cycled and I lost all but my one peppered cory. He did fine by himself for a few days while I worked to get the tank to where it was safe to add more, but after about 3 days of being alone, he started showing signs of stress, swimming up and down walls and running into things. It was a bit of a fiasco finding new tank mates for him, as the of the first 2 I brought in, one had septicemia and the other had a swim bladder disorder(fairly common in cories, sometimes an early indicator of septicemia, I've been told). He was just happy to have buddies in his tank for about a day, even if they wouldn't school with him. I brought those two back and had to let my tank sit for 2 more days while I made sure that no one had caught the septicemia. By the end of the two days alone I thought he was going to bash himself dead against the heater. He settled down when I was finally able to add one friend, but neither of them really looked adjusted until I added my third.

They are a social fish. Even if he looks like he's doing ok, at the very least his immune system is compromised and he will be extremely liable to get sick and possibly spread it to your betta.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #16 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
They aren't sharp at all, when you run your fingers through the gravel you can't even feel anything sharp. Benny has adjusted well and is very good at moving rocks around a bit to get his food. I've been giving him pellets and 3 different kinds of flakes as well as a few bloodworms, and he's very happy! I'm sorry about your situation Kestral. I can still return Benny, luckily, but I don't want to! The tank is larger than it looks, and because it has a filter and a heater it is always crystal clear and I do partials all of the time. The tank doesn't seem crowded at all. :(
It really is over crowded though, and it especially would be with more cories :(. It is awesome that your water quality is great but it doesn't change the fact that he has no room. I am SO sorry this is happening, it is really hard getting attached to something so cute and tiny and then giving it up. Unfortunately it is the best for Benny. You should ship him to shinybetta like he offered so you could see updates and how big her gets :).

@Kestral I am pretty positive you can always return an animal. You may not get your money back, but you can return them for free.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #17 
shinybetta

I don't think you can always return them. I got a couple of tetras for free because a guy was trying to return them late and the said they can't put them back in the tank, all they can do is flush them alive
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #18 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
I don't think you can always return them. I got a couple of tetras for free because a guy was trying to return them late and the said they can't put them back in the tank, all they can do is flush them alive
Aw really? That is so mean! Pet stores should have a QT tank for returns or something. Maybe because of the risk of diseases spreading. I returned fish to petco late when I was younger, but I am guessing they accepted them because they didn't care about diseases spreading:/
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #19 
Bettaluver4evr

Alright, alright. Hehe, I'll take the poor thing back tomorrow. I am really pining for a female betta I saw there the other day, is there any way I could buy a divider for my 2.5 minibow when I return Benny so I could get her??
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #20 
coolcucumber

I think 2.5gals is the smallest tank size you should keep a betta in. Also, if Butterfly is still recovering from his fin incident, then i dont think it would be the best idea to stress him out by putting another betta in the tank. Thats only my opinion, though.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote