Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #21 
karlhague

Just my input on Corys..

I had 5 Bronze corys, untill ONE decided to attack all the other 4. Who had to be seperated..

This one now lives ALONE with my male betta and guppie fry. and seems perfectly happy on his own..

I tried reintroducing the others and this one bronze cory just attacked them constantly... So their in the community tank downstairs.. (3ft long tank)
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #22 
Bettaluver4evr

Whoa. ^O^ Meanie Fishy! :P
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #23 
Kestrel

@turtle10 I know, but apparently the Petsmart around here won't take fish unless it's a return with 14 days, which I was just a little late on finding out. And sadly that's the only pet store that's close and easy for me to get to. I'll just have to see though, maybe I'll find another store that will. The peppered guy is better than the albino though, which I feel bad for.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #24 
Alex09

Poor guy. The betta shouldn't be nipping him at all. You may think things look fine but your poor Cory may be really stressed because not only is he alone in a small tank, but he is being harassed by your betta.

My tank has gravel and the cories are just fine. I love cories, one of my favorite fish…They are very curious fish and love exploring with their buddies. Because of this, I would never put them in anything less than a 10 gal tank (a heavily decorated one at that).

In a tank your size, only tankmates can be snails or shrimp. If your betta doesn't kill them, shrimp will be great at cleaning up leftover food.

Last edited by Alex09; 02-18-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #25 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe, that's positive. "If he doesn't kill them, they're great!" :P Well, my Petsmart should have gotten a new shipment yesterday, so hopefully they'll have 1 or 2 ghost shrimp. I'll miss my Benny. :'(
Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #26 
Alex09

I would get 4 or 5. I say this because from what I hear, many tend to die off because of horrid conditions during shipping and at the store.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #27 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Aw really? That is so mean! Pet stores should have a QT tank for returns or something. Maybe because of the risk of diseases spreading. I returned fish to petco late when I was younger, but I am guessing they accepted them because they didn't care about diseases spreading:/
why should they care when half their stock is diseased
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #28 
vaygirl

It's nice you're taking him back. I had corys in with Tango for about a year in a 16 gallon and eventually he turned on them. I never realized how inactive they were with him in the tank. There was a complete change in their behavior when they weren't being harassed anymore. You're doing the right thing.

Also, Corys eat mainly carnivore pellets, not algae wafers. They need a variety though, so you can feed both. But don't skimp on the meat. They need it. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #29 
Bettaluver4evr

Okey dokey! I know it is the right thing to do, but still, I'll miss the lil guy. So then I'll buy 3 or 4 ghost shrimp to make sure they don't die off immediately and my betta doesn't eat them, got it. ;)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #30 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Just my input on Corys..

I had 5 Bronze corys, untill ONE decided to attack all the other 4. Who had to be seperated..

This one now lives ALONE with my male betta and guppie fry. and seems perfectly happy on his own..

I tried reintroducing the others and this one bronze cory just attacked them constantly... So their in the community tank downstairs.. (3ft long tank)
Are you sure it wasn't mating behavior? It can get quite aggressive, but is perfectly natural.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote