Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
Slayers

Cleaning Sand

So I think I want to change my tanks to sand but I live in an apartment so I do not have a hose to clean the sand before I put it in does anyone have any ideas on how I can clean it using a bathtub or anything else?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If this will be a brand new setup...the way I do it.... is in the tank......I put the sand in the tank-fill partial with water, drain and repeat until fairly clear-ish....but I am also using dirt under the sand and it is easier for me to cap with dry sand to start....I have to be really careful and not disturb my soil too...so it is a slow process...may take me 20-30 min and 3-4 fill-drain and repeat......

I also have to top off my sand bed on occasion and I use dry sand in a cup and as gentle as possible I pour the dry sand in the full of water aquarium-(some water removed first by about half or less) by lowering the cup of dry sand to the bed...I may get a little cloud for a few minutes with the cup or two, three of un-rinsed dry sand-but it always clears up fast and has never caused any problems even in my unfiltered 1-2gal tanks and then make a partial water only change...I sometime will suck out the sand and replace with fresh sand every 3-6 months or so and with time the sand mixes with the soil and needs replaced...the trick is going slow with the pouring of the sand and really slow filling with the water...I also will use my clean hand to kinda shake the plant and rub the walls a bit to get any sand dust off.......slow and careful.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-17-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 
Pekemom

What's the advantage of the sand (over any other substrate material), OFL - or is it for decorative purposes? It does look beautiful...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I think the advantage to having sand is that your not sticking your siphon in it to get all the gunk, it just hovers above the sand, making the job of pooper-scooping with the siphon faster. Thats what I've heard anyway, no pet store near me so I have gravel xP
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #5 
Slayers

OFL the tank is running but there is nothing in it but live plants I can drain it and swish the sand around.

What type of soil are you using and should I look at using soil in my tank if I want live plants?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Natural planted tanks are not for every one......I would do lots of research before you set one up

I use all kinds of soil in all my tanks from-dirt from my yard, organic potting soil, kitty litter, clay...not every soil will work...

I buy play sand from walmart for $5.00 for 50 pounds to cap my soil so it doesn't float

You have to start out with lots and lots of plants...both stem and floating...a few plants won't work.....

Low tech, low light natural planted tank are pretty awesome setups and require little work once they mature (3-6mo) the plants function as the filter and the soil is alive....a live ecosystem...but it is still a closed system it still needs care.....just not like a regular soil based tank.....
Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #7 
Slayers

Wow this gets confusing.

OFL time for more questions I don't know if I want to make it a full planted tank I am just looking for the most part of putting in a betta with corys. I have 4 java ferns in there and a dying anacharis. The main reason I want to take the gravel out and do the sand is because the corys plus after looking at pics of sand tanks I think they look much better.

If I do sand and want some plants do I use some soil with play sand?

Of do I get something like Florite and just use that?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't add any soil unless you want to go full planted and with your plan....I would just do sand alone...I wouldn't go any deeper than 1.5 inches at most and tie your ferns off on driftwood or something and this will make it easier to maintain and they will be fine and if you add more stem type plants or rosettes type they will be fine too but you will have use plant food and root tabs...........and they should grow just fine provided that you have the right lights........ and your corydoras will love rooting around in the sand too......