Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #1 
bamsuddenimpact

Pellets- am I overfeeding?

I feed my boys one pellet at a time, and they eat them all. I give them 5-6 in the morning and 5-6 at night. before I get attacked right away, my question is because of how small my pellets seem, and my boys never showing any bloat. I also go home some weekends, which means they get fasted for two days sometimes. Attached is a picture of one pellet on the pad of my index finger.. I am a female with size 7 ring finger so my hands are not freakishly large...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...638.1325910154
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 
bamsuddenimpact

A working link... Grr
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2798985_n.jpg
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #3 
Thunderloon

The size of their eye once per day.

What's the brand of the pellet and your shoe size, I don't know rings?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

Its Aqueon Betta Food. And I am about a size 8. I try to break up their feeding....
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 
tsoto80

hold it against a ruler for a better measurement
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #6 
tsoto80

I have top fin betta bits which are also quite small. My VT male I could feed a lot more than the others because he is bigger then they are and I never seen him bloated UNLESS I feed him frozen brine shrimp. I dunno in my opinion feed them whatever but not to the point where they are bloated. They need to have a soft round belly....not a "pellet" gut lol
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #7 
demonr6

My two cents worth, we were feeding Marco 4-5 twice daily. Max can eat like a little piggy too if I let him but I learned my lesson with Marco. I am not saying everyone who feeds their fish may experience this, but please error on the side of caution. As you can see by my signature that prolonged feed him till he is happy diet did not work out too well.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #8 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
My two cents worth, we were feeding Marco 4-5 twice daily. Max can eat like a little piggy too if I let him but I learned my lesson with Marco. I am not saying everyone who feeds their fish may experience this, but please error on the side of caution. As you can see by my signature that prolonged feed him till he is happy diet did not work out too well.
I do agree with you its a big caution at your risk type of thing I also heard they can get SBD if countiously being overfed but someone correct me if Im wrong
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #9 
demonr6

I just think 5-6 pellets 2x daily is a risky idea even with a day of fasting. On the off-chance the fish ends up bloated it can set off a series of events that are a pain do deal with.. especially for poor fishy.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 
gardengirl13

We were feeding BA about 3 3 times a day until one morning I woke up and freaked out because he was kind of thrashing around the tank, then he wiggled his butt and pooped. Then looked over and begged for food. No way buddy, you're having troubles I'm cutting back. Now he gets 2 in the morning, 1 when we get home from work and 1-2 after dinner. He gets freeze dried worms after he water change as a treat. Occasionally we'll give him a worm as a treat, but maybe only 1-2 times a month. This week he got two very small worms though since he was acting very jealous of his new brothers and we wanted him to feel special. He is a big boy though, the two new fish are smaller and only get 3 a day, maybe 4 if they seem really hungry.
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote