Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #1 
kristawelborn

I just rescued my betta and im worried

I just rescued my betta from wal-mart and he was in the worst shape i have ever seen a fish. I had a gold fish when i was young and he lived for six years amazingly but i have no idea what a betta needs.

I have his water heated and constant 74-76 F. He is fed every day, 4 floating bites, and i change his water often since he was in poor shape when i got him.

My question is that his fins are in such bad shape and i dont know if it is from fin rot, poor handeling, or something else. His top fin is twisted, and his other fins are ragged and at times clamped, but he is very active and has a healthy appetite. I dont know what is wrong with his fins nor how to help them grow back... Any suggestions?

i attached a pic of him
Attached Images

kristawelborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #2 
Abby

the curl in his top fins from the water hardness :P my fish Benny had curled fin when i bought hi but he chewed them off :) hopefully they will grow back straight.

his clamped fins sounds a little like stress but he looks of in the picture, Bettas dont stay all flared up so dont worry if his fins are not always flared out.
temp keep it ABOVE 76 usually 78 is the likey point but 76-86 i thinks their zone.

how big is his tank?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #3 
Abby

his fins will grow back the curl may not straighten.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

He actually looks pretty good, sounds like you're doing everything right. Does the tank have a filter, and how many gallons is it, how many water changes do you do, etc, etc.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 
chelsmarie23

He looks pretty good besides his fin ends. I would just keep the water clean. :) He is so pretty!
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #6 
kristawelborn

Right now he is in a 3 gallon tank and he has a filter but i change the water once a week... I just havent had a fish in years and never have been around a betta so im a little lost... And thank you for the compliments i think hes pretty...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Kristawelborne,

Very pretty! I'm a sucker for orange bettas, lol...

Fresh, conditioned and properly heated water will do the most to help him be his best.

A few pesky questions: How long has your 3 gallon been up and running? Has it 'cycled'? When you do a water change once a week, how much of the water gets changed? Do you have a water testing kit?

He really looks quite good, you've done a great job with him!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #8 
kristawelborn

well mr p passed away... he seemed like he was getting better and his fins were growing back and the night before i found him he was swimming and playing and then the next morning he was gone... i was very upset but i couldnt do anything else for him. I now have a betta that my niece named marland... he is black, turquoise, and green with a little maroon... but i think he is a tail bitter... he is in a 3 gallon that cycled for over 24 hours with declorinator and a filter with silk plants and he has two very small tank mates that are peppered corys... they get along and he is very active but his fins are ragged and they were like that when i bought him but it seems like it is getting worse is there anything i can do?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #9 
kristawelborn

here's a pic of his fins but his back fin is clamped right now because our water is at 7.6 ph and the sales person at our local fish store said to put ph down in it and it really messed up my aquariums and i had to take out some water and replace it but he seems to be perking up now...
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristawelborn View Post
well mr p passed away... he seemed like he was getting better and his fins were growing back and the night before i found him he was swimming and playing and then the next morning he was gone... i was very upset but i couldnt do anything else for him. I now have a betta that my niece named marland... he is black, turquoise, and green with a little maroon... but i think he is a tail bitter... he is in a 3 gallon that cycled for over 24 hours with declorinator and a filter with silk plants and he has two very small tank mates that are peppered corys... they get along and he is very active but his fins are ragged and they were like that when i bought him but it seems like it is getting worse is there anything i can do?
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. P's demise... he may have been too sick from lack of care at Walmart to live much longer . :(

I'm not sure about the tail biting issue. It may be a reaction to stress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a bigger issue to consider, however.

Unfortunately, with a betta and two cory cats, your 3 gallon tank is very overstocked. 2.5 gallons is about the minimum for one betta; so 3 gallons is *perfect* for one betta.

Cory cats are not reccomended for anything less than a 10 gallon tank, and should be kept in groups of three and above (they are a schooling fish).

To keep a betta and 2 cori cats healthy, they should be in no less than a 10 gallon tank. Not only will that be a much healthier enviroment, but give room for everyone to GROW (and they will).

Right now, you will need to do 100% water changes every other day in your 3 gallon to:

1. Keep the toxins from building up to deadly levels
2. Keep the water fresh enough, so the betta's fins heal/keep him from getting worse.

The overcrowding will make your betta's stress worse. If he feels too crowded, he may even kill the cori cats (I learned this the hard way, when I overstocked a 5 gallon with one betta, four cory cats, and a 4" loach).

Just trying to save you the misery of what I (and my fish) went through...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote