Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #11 
turtle10

Also don't use the ph stuff, it does more harm than good. A betta will adjust to basically any ph.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #12 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Also don't use the ph stuff, it does more harm than good. A betta will adjust to basically any ph.
For the most part yes. Some tap water comes out with pH over 8.5.
I've been using Seachem's Neutral Regulator with standard 2drop per gallon prime. Marvelous stuff.

More than 48 hours without fresh water change + wash-down and your tank will start to cycle, producing nitrite. The bacteria are natural but will grow on anything, including your fish. Nitrite is a very deadly toxin and will kill almost all fish quickly, betta don't immediately show a problem because they breath in air. Nitrite is much like carbon monoxide - you don't realize there is an issue until you are dying.

Don't feed the daily all at once, spread it out. If there is a timing concern then get a small pill box that has days of the week on it and put the daily feedings in each box. This will keep "oh, he looks hungry, I hope he doesn't explode" from happening.
Overfeeding causes even more ammonia to enter the tank.

Because Betta breathe air, they are exposed to our pesticides, perfumes, dust, fumes, grease and smoke. All are unhealthy for any fish but the Betta actually breathes them in. If you are getting a surface scum on your tank within 2 days of a water change, your house environment is unclean. Not saying filthy just not clean for fish. The way Betta get their breath is by cycling air and a little water into a tiny nose-like organ in their head called a Labyrinth. Anything on the surface of the water can be pulled in.

If its in the tank and acts like food, they'll try to eat it. Dandruff, fire ants, roaches, cat claws. Doesn't matter, mister flares is gonna try it.

Your Betta is not hungry; he is a pig. Never exceed their eye size in food a day, spread the feedings out.

Chlorine, Chloramine: Recently most municipality have started using "chloramine" which if not specifically treated for will become ammonia when the little water treatment drops swallow the chlorine. Its like punching your child in the face each morning before school.

If you are at or exceeding your tank's biological load, you MUST aerate. Anerobic bacteria are nasty polluters and they will grow fast in reducing environments. Its like doubling your fish count.

The picture of light-through-tail looks like a dissolving fish, the tissues are not able to stand up to the chemistry in the water for some reason.

I'd start doing daily 50% water changes carefully then read up immediately on the nitrogen cycle.

When you overload even biologically filtered tanks with strong bacteria colonies you still risk hurting your fish. There are cycles beyond the simple Nitrification cycle which can be just as or more deadly when pushed too far.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #13 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thunderloon,

You are AWESOME!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #14 
kristawelborn

well i went out and got a full set up 20 gallon. My betta looks great and is so active. His fins are growing back and his colors are very vivid. So i now have my betta "marlan", 5 peppered corys and 3 blue rams and the betta is the king of the tank and he is loving it. I have a five gallon ready and on hand incase there is a fight between the betta and any of the others. Thanks for all the advice. :)
kristawelborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #15 
kristawelborn

oh and i havent used any ph chemicals i just put in some drift wood from the pet store and the tank and community seems to be doing great. Again thank u so much for all the advice... :)
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #16 
kristawelborn

oh and he also has an african dwarf frog as a tank mate to...
Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #17 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

kristawelborn,

Congrats! A 20 Gallon gives them all room to play and grow. :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #18 
fishmansam

sorry to her bout your lose i was sad when i lost my 1st betta but now i have a new one he is very healthy i recamend taking the corys back
fishmansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #19 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmansam View Post
sorry to her bout your lose i was sad when i lost my 1st betta but now i have a new one he is very healthy i recamend taking the corys back
What are you talking about? lol
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #20 
fishmansam

she said one of her bettas died lol
fishmansam is offline   Reply With Quote