Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 
Alex09

Stress Stripes/ loss of color

My new DT betta, Mogget is VERY skittish and seems to get stress stripes and become pale of the tiniest things. When I came home from school today he was looking a gorgeous shade of turquoise blue. I watched him for a minute and this alone seemed to freak him out. He got stress stripes and became very pale. If I leave him alone he calms down but if he see's me he freaks out again. Here are some pics:

Normal color:

Stressed:

He does have hiding spots in his new tank, and the temp is fine. Will he get used to me and is there anything else I can do? Is all this freaking out bad for him?

I have never had a betta so skittish like this
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
Meg215

When I got my betta Norman he was so skittish for at least 2 months before he finally warmed up to me. I had to drop brine shrimp right in front of him but move my hand super slowly or he'd swim away. Finally he started to warm up once he got used to me and I just kept talking to him and letting him see my face. Now he is my most active and friendly betta!

Just give your guy some time and attention even if it does seem to freak him out. Im sure he will get used to you eventually. :)
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Mines odd like that, too. He doesnt show stripes, but gets very very pale and breathes heavily.
He'll do it at literally nothing, too.. Literally nothing will be happening then BAM! Flips out D:
He might just be a scaredy...er..fish. Hidey spots and maybe moving a taller plant, normally in the back, to the front can help too.
Pretty little guy, btw!

(Ive also heard tannis, Indian almond leaves and short-term aquarium salt use will comfort and de-stress too.)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Kilo used to be that way. To be perfectly honest, it took him months to get used to any little thing. Water changes, putting something down in front of his tank, any banging in the kitchen (he's on the counter). He got used to most it eventually but sudden shocks still send him fleeing with vivid stripes. I put a red bag of popcorn down in front of him the other day and he flipped out. :P

I wouldn't worry too much. It's a defense thing and it's natural for them to do it in spurts. If it was continuous, then I'd worry. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #5 
ohstephyy

Ohhh.... Maybe that's what's wrong with my betta too then.

Pixel has been shy of me ever since I got him. He swims swims away super fast over the tinniest things. I don't see any stripes on him though, but he's slowly warming up to me. He has just recently started to follow me around the tank, but only if I stay in one spot.

I think they just need to get used to you first :3 I'm sure he'll be fine....
ohstephyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #6 
Veronica

This was sooo helpful. Finding this related thread to my question answered it! No fin rot - skittish, hungry fish! Feeling lots less scared for Razz!
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote