Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Copepods Infestation in tank!

After making a post on the forum here and someone kindly linked me to a site to help me identify what the heck was in my tank I discovered I have copepods lots and lots of copepods. There has to be someway to get rid of them....right? Please tell me theres a way..

even my sister came over today...looked in my tank and went D: OMG what is in your tank!!?!

There is that many of them...yep...I did a little bit of a search in google, but most places I read people saying they're a good sign and it's cheap food for the fish....but...my fish wont eat them!

How can I get rid of these?Should I take my fish out of the tank? He doesn't seem to mind them being there in his tank, infact...he has made the biggest bubble nest I have ever seen.

The only things I recently changed in my tank: I switch my gravel to sand, I got a mystery snail, and I got some more anacharis.

they look just like this...but whiiite.

http://centexnaturalist.com/folderma...ds/cope01.html

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 02-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #2 
shinybetta

He may be eating some, but a small number. Live food would definitely make him feel good and want to breed though!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
He may be eating some, but a small number. Live food would definitely make him feel good and want to breed though!
Good point! I have yet to see him eat any of them though...but they are real small! unfortunately theres just sooo many of them!

Has anyone ever had a problem with these before?Has anyone ever successfully gotten rid of them?

I did a 80% water change earlier today and it didn't seem to effect the copepods, theyre still heavily populating my tank.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #4 
BlackberryBetta

Couldn't you just take everything out of the tank rinse and/or bleach it. Wash the tank out with salt and vinegar and put it back together? Of couse, that would depend on your tank size...
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
Couldn't you just take everything out of the tank rinse and/or bleach it. Wash the tank out with salt and vinegar and put it back together? Of couse, that would depend on your tank size...
My tank is 5 gallons,cycled. I was thinking about doing this, I have live plants and sand though.I really don't want to have to throw it all away and have to recyle all over again.
Some of my plants were 8 dollars each.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Oh ok, got'cha. I see how that would be difficult. If you took your betta out and turned off the filter for a while then stirred the sand up and try to get some of the little buggers out of there, at least you might have it a BIT more under control. Just a thought, I don't have sand so Im really not much help here. Anyways, I hope you can work it out!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I am going to be switching him over into a 10 gallon sometime soon, so I may just leave that sand in the 5 gallon and get new sand maybe. I hope that will help. I guess I might just have to deal with these little copepods until then!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

Ya, If you are getting a new tank, I wouldnt use the same sand. You would want to stop the problem before it starts.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #9 
shinybetta

Buy some ghost shrimp! A hungry ghost shrimp will probably eat a copepod, problem solved! I like the look of them so I would leave. They are actually a good sign, and are probably good in your aquarium.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Buy some ghost shrimp! A hungry ghost shrimp will probably eat a copepod, problem solved! I like the look of them so I would leave. They are actually a good sign, and are probably good in your aquarium.
I may get a ghost shrimp! I am sort of scared of them though! I hear they can rip betta fish fins.
Would having a ghost shrimp, a snail and a betta in a 5 gallon be overcrowded?