Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 
briser

New 3gal for my girl!

So as some of you know I have two bettas, a female and male. I am getting a 5.5 gal with hood/light & filter for my birthday (less than a month away) and that is for my male. Today I went out in search for a 2.5gal for my female (she is so tiny) and I came with this instead!

I've only read a couple bad reviews but many people seem to love it! The filter isn't the greatest but because there is a spot for the dirt to go under the gravel a lot of people said it was easy to get the dirt out with a gravel vac. I am so excited to set it up!! Also it comes with an airstone/pump which I am excited about!

Also I got this:

There seems to be mixed reviews with this heater, a lot of people claiming it didn't keep a steady temp on 5.5 gal + but since mine is a 3gal I figured it would be okay (smaller size, air pump, etc.)

So my question to you guys, how often should I do water changes?

Ps: the pic says 2gal but I got the 3gal one.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

That's only a 2 gallon aquarium and once filled with gravel and plants its more like 1.5. Still a decent little tank. There was one at my thrift store recently I considered picking up but they wanted too much for it IMO.

On that tank I would do at least 2 50% water changes a week. If you cycle it you might be able to get 1 50% a week but I would still probably stick to twice a week changes if it were me.

The thing about under gravel filters is you have to periodically remove all the gravel and fully clean out the tank.. probably every few months or so. It's kind of a pain in the butt but as long as you keep everything wet you shouldn't loose your cycle (should you choose to do a cycle).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

They said they got the 3 gal, even though the picture says 2.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
That's only a 2 gallon aquarium and once filled with gravel and plants its more like 1.5. Still a decent little tank. There was one at my thrift store recently I considered picking up but they wanted too much for it IMO.

On that tank I would do at least 2 50% water changes a week. If you cycle it you might be able to get 1 50% a week but I would still probably stick to twice a week changes if it were me.

The thing about under gravel filters is you have to periodically remove all the gravel and fully clean out the tank.. probably every few months or so. It's kind of a pain in the butt but as long as you keep everything wet you shouldn't loose your cycle (should you choose to do a cycle).
Yeah that picture is 2 gallon but I bought a 3 gallon one. I just double checked the box and it says 3 gallon.

I will probably cycle it and stick with 2 water changes then. I think I will remove the gravel once a month at least, just to keep it on the safe side.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #5 
demonr6

Beware of that Tetra heater.. they can be baaaaad.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #6 
briser

Demonr6, could you explain? I dont want to use it if it will harm my fish.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

I haven't had any issues with those heaters except for the fact if your room is cold they don't heat high enough. IMO they aren't really worth the money but something is better than nothing. In smaller tanks they do the job pretty well. Just don't expect your tank to get to 80 degrees LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #8 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I haven't had any issues with those heaters except for the fact if your room is cold they don't heat high enough. IMO they aren't really worth the money but something is better than nothing. In smaller tanks they do the job pretty well. Just don't expect your tank to get to 80 degrees LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
My room is relatively warm. The thermometer in my tank says 76 right now. ( not a heated tank )
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #9 
emberdragon

Try picking up a gravel siphon from a local petstore. It would help a ton with cleaning the gravel so you won't have to strip down your tank to do a water change, you can get all the junk out of the gravel without polluting the water or stressing out your betta, just don't siphon it too shallow if your betta's still in the water and at all costs make sure you don't siphon up your betta.
emberdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #10 
demonr6

If that is the glass model, I read on another fish forum a while back that a few of them had cracked and everything was killed.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote