Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Valentino's not eating.

He hasn't eaten for over a week, since I got him, and I've yet to see any sort of poop in the tank. There was some in his bowl when I bought him, but now, none.

He also doesn't swim much, and the water is well 76-80 degrees thanks to the warm weather. What could be wrong with him?

I'm worried because this is the same behavier Nibbles got before he died, only Valentino doesn't float on his side, or have trouble swimming, he swims around alittle, but just to find a new spot to rest or float.
LittleNibbles93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It can take some longer than others to adapt and start eating for you....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used..temp is 76-80F, he swims and rest...just not eating yet...what kind of food are you offering him.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #3 
LittleNibbles93

Tank is 1.5 gallons, I've not yet done a water change (I should when I get back home), there is a filter, no live plants, no additives, I offer him betta flakes and freeze dried food for bettas.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Part of it may be water quality...I would make a couple of daily 50% water changes and then stay on a twice weekly schedule of 1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning with vacuum or stir and dip method......are you on well water...I ask because you don't use any additives....if not on well water make sure to use a dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish/tank...
Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #5 
LittleNibbles93

We don't even drink the water, its just that horriable, I get the water from my grandparents house nextdoor, I let the water set 24 hours before use on my aquarium.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Part of it may be water quality...I would make a couple of daily 50% water changes and then stay on a twice weekly schedule of 1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning with vacuum or stir and dip method......are you on well water...I ask because you don't use any additives....if not on well water make sure to use a dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish/tank...
Shouldn't a 100% also be done? because then the chemicals never go away completely.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since she has a filter 100% water changes are not needed, however, they don't hurt either with 1.5gal tanks..........

What is different with the water next door and your water? do they have a filtration system? are you using dechlorinator with that water or is this well water....I ask because water is so important for long term health with fish...not all water is created equal and what we may think is not good- may be good for the fish long term health......
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 
LittleNibbles93

My grandparents have a filterration system, while we don't, they still have chemicals in they're water, but not as bad as here. The water is good though, I think. I didn't have declorinator until today, I just got some this afternoon, we'll see what happens.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNibbles93 View Post
We don't even drink the water, its just that horriable, I get the water from my grandparents house nextdoor, I let the water set 24 hours before use on my aquarium.
That is SO awesome they live next door. Mine live down the street from us, it is great.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote