Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #1 
turtle10

Question Pleco and Betta okay?

Okay I have been hearing some conflicting information. What is the minimum tank size for a Candy Striped Pleco? Also known as Tiger Plecos, scientific name is Peckoltia vittata (L015). They reach about five inches and can be kept lone. I have one in a 20g high (CYCLED) with one male betta, four guppies, five teeny Red Dwarf Rasboras, a few snails and cherry shrimp. They have all been getting along perfectly. I was told this is okay, am I completely off the mark here lol? I really hope I haven't been hurting the pleco or the betta, or any of the fish really :(.

I have a 20g long I could move the pleco into, if the height makes a difference.

Am I totally over stocked? I have lots of live plants. Please help!

BTW I have two large pieces of aquarium driftwood in there. She hasn't moved from one of the pieces in about a week, is this normal?

SO worried, I feel like there is not much info out there for specific types of plecos.

The reason I post under Betta Care is because if the pleco is acting odd, then could something be wrong with my water? I haven't seen my male make a bubblenest in a few days (put then again I did take out a few plants for my sorority), so I am wondering if the pleco is trying to tell me that something is wrong in my tank? My betta seems fine right now, but maybe plecos are more sensitive.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #2 
karlhague

Most Plecos Tend to grow HUGE.

Plecos and most other catfish do seem alot more sensitive to the water.

Try do a small 10-20% water change and see if his behaviour alters.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #3 
turtle10

This is a candy striped/tiger pleco so the info says they only get to be 5-6 inches, but I will definitely keep my eye on it just in case. I will try the water change now.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #4 
turtle10

Just changed out about four and a half gallons.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

How is the temperature in the tank?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 
turtle10

A steady 80. I could turn it down to 76 though.

Last edited by turtle10; 02-18-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The 20g is fine for your pleco...that the smallest size I would go with that species and good that you have wood-they need it to rasp on to help digestion....did the water change make any difference in the pleco...did it move any...it may need time to adapt too or it may need to rasp for awhile on the wood...lol.....may not have had any for a while.....love to see a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
turtle10

The water change didn't make too much of a difference, she wiggled her tail a bit lol. I got her like two-three weeks go, could she still be adjusting after that long? They did have wood in the lfs store where she was kept.

Here is a picture of her, the has been upside down like that for days! The red is the effect of my camera, I don't have anything red in my tank lol.

Last edited by turtle10; 02-18-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wanted to include picture.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Cute plec! I have one of those (in my 75 gal. tank w/African Cichlids) and, TBH, there have been times I haven't even SEEN it for so long I figure it must have passed away and the other fish took care of it. Then, all of a sudden, it's there - LOL!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #10 
Pekemom

I used to keep bristlenose plecos in my cichlid tanks and I just loved them - and miss them!! They are adorable - and generally not too active. Remember that they don't have scales and are sensitive to water quality and any medication that may be in the tank. What are you feeding him? Mine loved the algae wafers and also munched on zuchinni slices.

http://tinyurl.com/5seej7y
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20g high, pleco