Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #11 
tfranc

Thanks for your advice, I am actually completely new to having a fish tank, I used to have my betta about 5 years ago in a large bowl with no heater or anything, he lived a long time and was pretty happy I think.

This time I went for a second betta and ended up getting 2 because one had fin rot and looked so bad in that tiny cup so I brought him home too.

I got a 10 gal tank and since I was studying architecture I had a lot of left over materials, one of which is the corrugated plastic, I made sure to wash it really really well, also in a lot of hot water before placing it in. I got the heater because I needed to make sure they would stay warm. unfortunately I am unemployed at the moment and cant quite buy all the right things for them, but I will make small notches in the divider to allow for heat flow/distribution. I didnt know about how much water I should give them since I dont have that many places for them to hide in, but I will definitely add more water and move the heater.

About the nuts? I am a bit confused, not sure what you mean, or what am I supposed to do... if you can please explain a little more, I appreciate it.

(by the way I am a girl not a guy, sorry my username is a bit misleading, but no worries)

Would this be a good filter for my tank, and safe for my little guys?

Whisper 10i in Tank Filter 18 25816

this is the link with the description:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGkQ8wIwAA#

thanks so much!!!! :)
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #12 
DeadMemories92

tfranc, I'm using a filter similar to that one. I haven't introduced my three bettas into their divided 10 gallon tank yet but I'm curious as to what others say before I do. Thanks for asking that question! :)
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #13 
turtle10

I used to have that filter, I HATED it. It moved around and never really seemed secure. The water flow was also SUPER strong. Definitely not quiet and peaceful filtration. This product was such a piece of garbage. Tetra sucks.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #14 
Thunderloon

If you're not afraid of damaging them, drilling holes down the front of the tetra in-tank filters slows down the force of the flow without reducing the effectiveness.

There aren't really any good Betta tank filters as far as water output force and speed. Just about everything needs modified one way or another.

One thing I HAVE discovered about the $10.00 walmart "regent" filters is you can saw the bottom 1/2 inch off of the in-tank lip and they'll drop the water straight into the tank, pulling air with. There will be enough circulation in the water so that the filter does work but it makes the dropping water go down the back wall to the bottom first. (it doesn't simply recycle the water right into the pipe) I did this on the filter that came with the 5g I put sherbert into. I assume this would make the sponge arrangement on that kind of filter work even better.

On the motor powered tetra in-tank filters it occured to me that making a scupper out of the bottom half of a two liter might be a great trick. Cutting the bottom of the two liter so that the motor head of the tetra sticks down through it and putting a square hole where the suction cups and hanging hook go on the back so you could trim the waterline or punch holes in the plastic with a hole-punch.
Keep in mind your boys would leap right into the insides of it if they can.

Lemme figure this out on a i1-3 bubble powered.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #15 
ds2009

I wouldnt go with that filter, I have a topfin 10 power filter in my tank right now and it works great for me. The only thing is , is that you need to baffle it with some aquarium sponge. I have some on the front of the filter where it waterfalls, the filter dips into the water a little so the water from the filter does not disturb the surface of the water at all. It is also a very quite filter which is perfect if youre a light sleeper like me lol. If youre looking for a filter i would highly recommend this one. Also for a tank divider, I am one of the people who uses plastic needle point canvas (I believe here fishy fishy fishy mentioned this). If you want a cheap divider, its a great choice. Also i had no problems whatsoever with the plastic leeching harmful stuff in my aquarium :)
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #16 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2009 View Post
I wouldnt go with that filter, I have a topfin 10 power filter in my tank right now and it works great for me. The only thing is , is that you need to baffle it with some aquarium sponge. I have some on the front of the filter where it waterfalls, the filter dips into the water a little so the water from the filter does not disturb the surface of the water at all. It is also a very quite filter which is perfect if youre a light sleeper like me lol. If youre looking for a filter i would highly recommend this one. Also for a tank divider, I am one of the people who uses plastic needle point canvas (I believe here fishy fishy fishy mentioned this). If you want a cheap divider, its a great choice. Also i had no problems whatsoever with the plastic leeching harmful stuff in my aquarium :)
Agreed. Here I can get one canvas for 49 cents. You can buy enough that if you make a mistake cutting it is okay.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #17 
Thunderloon

(~facepalm~)

The needlepoint canvas and poster-board backing are two different plastics.

Easy as pie to cut a large water bottle down to fit over the body of the smaller powered and the air driven tetra-in tanks.

For the powered one:
Just draw a line straight down the side of the bottle, determine how much you need in the height of the bottle and add a half inch to discourage jumping.

Insert the filter into the bottle with the back of the filter against the in-side of the bottle and remove material that stops you from pushing the filter out the bottom, clean that up, then mark off a square the width of the hanger so that the suction cups can go through so that the upper end of the square gets caught on the hanger's pin where it goes into the back of the filter.

For the bubbly one:
Do same but leave a tang (tongue, whatever) of plastic sticking up in the back so you can give it two folds and tape it to the back side of the tank or hook a weight onto it and have it help support the whisper bubble filter.

On both:
Cut some small round holes down the "front" of the bottle, small enough the boys won't try to enter. You could also cut large holes and use the needlepoint card in a strip that pushes up against the front, or a layer of sponge that fits in nicely, etc. I'd figure sponge in there would be good biological media. My trash camera won't take pictures today or I'd have a shot of the 1-3.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thunderloon,

You are amazing (and brave, drilling into electrical devices, lol)!

ds2009,
I like your sponge/powerhead idea too. :)
If I ever start keeping males, I will definitely give that a try.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #19 
tfranc

wow this is such great advice so thank you so much, all of you are really great!!
(thunderloon if you do have a chance to take the pics I would really appreciate it, im a visual person which makes things in pictures easier for me)

Thanks so much, I will try to go find the needlepoint canvas to make a new divider.
thanks ! :)
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #20 
DeadMemories92

I added Waffle into the sector with the filter that looks very similar to that one and he seemed to have no problems but then again it may look alike but be different as in suction. I put my hand over it and you could barely feel the suction.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote