Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #1 
Slipstitch

New to fish... Kind of worried.

Okay, so I made sure to read the forums a ton before doing anything. I got a new Betta fish today, a beautiful dark blue crown tail with two little red fins coming off his sides and silvery accents to him. I did the whole letting the water they kept him in in the container they had him in adjust to the temp of the new fishtank(terribly small, but I'll buy a larger one later) before setting him free into his new home. I made sure the water was warm. At first, he was super spazzy, exploring and poking at the new things and such. His color had paled a bit by the time I got him into the new tank... I'm worried about that. He's been in it for about 30 minutes now and about 10 minutes after I put him in, he's been incredibly lethargic. Sitting at the top of the tank blowing the random bubble and sometimes idling to a new spot to just sit. His fins are drooping and his color's faded a lot... I'm worried about him. Is this a sign of death? Can I fix it? Is it because he's suddenly in -much- cleaner water than he was?(you would not believe how disgusting the water was in that little tupperware they had him in >.<) Is this a normal reaction and part of acclimatizing to new surroundings? I couldn't find anything covering this kind of activity, so I figured I should as. Thank you!
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
Okay, so I made sure to read the forums a ton before doing anything. I got a new Betta fish today, a beautiful dark blue crown tail with two little red fins coming off his sides and silvery accents to him. I did the whole letting the water they kept him in in the container they had him in adjust to the temp of the new fishtank(terribly small, but I'll buy a larger one later) before setting him free into his new home. I made sure the water was warm. At first, he was super spazzy, exploring and poking at the new things and such. His color had paled a bit by the time I got him into the new tank... I'm worried about that. He's been in it for about 30 minutes now and about 10 minutes after I put him in, he's been incredibly lethargic. Sitting at the top of the tank blowing the random bubble and sometimes idling to a new spot to just sit. His fins are drooping and his color's faded a lot... I'm worried about him. Is this a sign of death? Can I fix it? Is it because he's suddenly in -much- cleaner water than he was?(you would not believe how disgusting the water was in that little tupperware they had him in >.<) Is this a normal reaction and part of acclimatizing to new surroundings? I couldn't find anything covering this kind of activity, so I figured I should as. Thank you!

Hey and welcome. your little betta sounds like he was checking it out and is settling in, the temp should be 76 -86 i think

his colour fading out is stress he will colour back up when he settles
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #3 
Slipstitch

Thank you, I'm kind of stressing myself, lol. Keep looking to see if he's moved(he has!) Do you know when I should try feeding him?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #4 
Abby

i leave my fish till the next day before i offer food, if i put them in in the afternoon i wont offer food till bout lunch time the next day unless they are really active and giving me the "COME ONNNNN you know you wanna feed me" look :)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #5 
Slipstitch

^_^ Thank you!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #6 
Abby

you think your paranoid now, i have gone from one betta to 15 in a month :)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #7 
Slipstitch

WOW. Btw... Is it a good or bad sign if they try to jump out of the water? He kinda made a dive for the great fishy beyond when I wasn't looking(was doing something and hadn't put the lid on yet, heard the plop and yeah...) and I'm hoping that's a sign of him feeling better. He's tried a couple more times, but I have his lid on now.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #8 
Lordsameth

Does he have a heater?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #9 
Slipstitch

Not yet... I'm having to make do with him being near the vent and having a decent lightbulb that provides warmth. I have to get the heater tomorrow(It was the only thing on the list I forgot to grab... Was kind of rushed.)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #10 
Lordsameth

Yes, a heater for sure is a must; he may be jumping because he it too cold and a heater will pick up his activity quite a bit. It also takes a couple days for them to get used to their surroundings.

My second and third Betta were both extremely inactive when I first got them. It just takes time. Start feeding him small amounts tomorrow. It took all of mine almost a week to learn that when i show up, it means food. Just be cautious with your jumper. I don't know if he is jumping because he is too cold, or because that is in his nature. One of mine jumps all the time, so I have to be really careful.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote