Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #11 
Slipstitch

The main reason I got him was because he was the most active of the six they had. He's kind of a wal-mart rescue. Poor little guy... He was in about 2 inches deep filthy water with pieces of his fins on the ground... I'll post pics of him once he perks up though. He really is beautiful. Are the flakes with the freeze dried shrimpy bits okay or do I need to mix it up a bit? And thank you for your patience with me.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #12 
Lordsameth

hmmm I don't feed mine flakes, I use pellets and they love them. What you're feeding him sounds good though, because they need both meat and plants in their diet. Keep a good balance and he should remain healthy.

also, a little question for you... there were pieces of his fin in the bottom of his cup? Could you have a look at his fins and tail, are they brown and jagged at the ends?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #13 
Slipstitch

Nope, they're a pale blue(his color's faded a lot) I assume the bits were pieces of his fins, they were the same color as him. But his fins are a solid blue, no discoloration. He has silver near his mouth, but that was on him when I bought him and hasn't changed. He also has two... Mini fins? They don't seem to be an active thing except for when he flares up and are a bright red. I made sure to check for anything that didn't look right and such. The ends of his fins are actually in pretty awesome condition... I'm certain they'll be much better with real care though.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #14 
Lordsameth

That's really lucky, most pet store Betta are known for having fin rot, that is why I asked. It sounds to me like you are doing a good job. Only one of my Betta was really active when I first brought him home, the other two were pretty lethargic. I'd say it is nothing to be concerned about, and seems pretty common. Just keep up on water changes, and keep us posted on how he is adjusting! We're all pretty Betta crazy here ( actually, my Betta were used to diagnose a mental condition oddly enough), so you should get some good advice.

Just a warning though, after you've got you tank set up and perfect, you're going to realize that it is impossible to have just one Betta...lol!

And just an observation: you're doing pretty good for a new Betta owner. Not everyone is open to the proper ways of caring for them. My older brother is positive it is okay to keep goldfish in the tank with a Betta (and to be fair, he did keep a goldfish and Betta together with neons for quite awhile... until the goldfish got hungry) and I was talking about my fish to my family when my step dad insisted I was killing my Betta by doing weekly water changes. He believes changing the water at all can cause illness and death. And with Biscotti sick he's rubbing it in my face that the water changes are what made him sick. *sighs*
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #15 
Slipstitch

I have to admit... I love Bettas. They're just so beautiful! I was thinking that maybe once I've learned a great deal more, I'd like to get 2 females, a red and a green, and breed them with this blue one. And once I saw the pictures for a rosetail... They're just beautiful. I would love to have a collection of them. So many colors and all beautiful! But I want to see if I can take care of one first, lol.

If you don't change the water, doesn't that -increase- chances of disease and infection? O.o Maybe suggest to him that he sits in the same bathwater 24/7 for a week?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Slipstitch,

In order for your betta to heal his fins and become vibrant and healthy, fresh, conditioned and heated water is very important.

If your betta is in a 1 gallon container, you'll want to do a 50% and 100% water change each week. If the container is smaller, you'll want to step up the water changes.

Larger tanks w/ filters = less water changes, especially 5 gallons +. You'll want to get a proper water testing kit, to check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank - all of which will impact your fishy's health.

Yes, you are right, not changing a betta's water is the way to insure their shortened lives are miserable!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #17 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh, BTW... welcome to the forum, and to the delights of bettas! :D
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #18 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Slipstitch,

In order for your betta to heal his fins and become vibrant and healthy, fresh, conditioned and heated water is very important.

If your betta is in a 1 gallon container, you'll want to do a 50% and 100% water change each week. If the container is smaller, you'll want to step up the water changes.

Larger tanks w/ filters = less water changes, especially 5 gallons +. You'll want to get a proper water testing kit, to check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank - all of which will impact your fishy's health.

Yes, you are right, not changing a betta's water is the way to insure their shortened lives are miserable!

^_^ Thank you, for the welcome and the information. I'm kind of excited, his color is starting to look better and he's moving a teeny bit more than he was. Still not as much as I'd like, but hey, somethin's better than nothing. I hope to get a larger tank sometime soon, but it really depends on cash flow. I just couldn't leave that store without at leasst one of the fish... :/ But I also didn't have a lot of time, so I forgot a few things. Hopefully he'll be okay until I can get back there and get the things he needs.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #19 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Slipstich,

Right now, if you are providing clean, conditioned and heated water, you are doing well. :)

Bettas need to be kept around 78F to be active and comfortable.

If you can cover his tank with plastic wrap, that will help hold in heat and keep the air above the water moist and warm (bettas breathe air at the surface, and need it to be warm and moist - to protect their labyrinth breathing organ).

A heat source can be as simple as raising your room thermostat to the proper temp or keeping a light on the bowl 24/7... but, you'll have to keep a close eye on the water temp and adjust the distance of the light source, to make sure it doesn't get too high - over 86F.

Once your money flow has loosened up a bit, you can invest in a heater, then work your way up to a bigger container w/ filter, etc. As long as you can do the basics (clean, conditioned and heated water) well, your betta will be well, too. :)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #20 
Lion Mom

Congrats on your new fish & welcome to the forum!!!

One question - I know you said you floated the cup to equalize the temp (good move!), but did you acclimatize him to your water? Pour a little of his water out, replace it with some of your tank water, let it sit for 5 minutes & repeat two more times?

If not, that could account for his loss of color & sluggish behavior on top of the stress of the move & new surroundings.

Just something to keep in mind for next time! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote