Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #21 
Slipstitch

Ty Lion mom, I actually had forgotten that... :/ He's doing loads better today though. He's constantly in motion(his little fins waving back and forth are so cute!) and is poking around a bit. His color seems to have picked up a bit and his tail is less droopy. I'm going to be getting a heater, conditioner, and some freeze dried bloodworms tonight. Hopefully it won't be too much of a change for him. I really can't wait to see him in his full glory. At some point soon, I plan on taking some of my spare cashes and rescuing some others(and some tanks for them) from wal-mart. Poor things. He was so spunky in his cup. I can't wait to see him be spunky in his real home.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #22 
Slipstitch

Can anyone tell me what kind of plant wouldn't take up a ton of room or hinder him in any way that he might like? His tank looks so boring.... But I know absolutely nothing about bettas and water plants except that he has to be able to get to the surface
Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #23 
Lordsameth

I wouldn't use a live plant with your small space, I'd use a soft silk aquarium plant, found at most pet stores and Wal-mart. Careful using craft ones, because the ink can bleed into the water and poison your fish. Betta tend to prefer leafy plants, because they like to perch on them to sleep. They are also shy, so anything they can hide in or behind is good too. I have a collection of aquarium plants I rotate between all my tanks, because it keeps my fish busy. My one has an extreme affinity for a certain plastic plant with a ton of leaves, he LOVES it. Try many different ones and see how your fish reacts!

Be careful the plants don't have any sharp points, as it can tear the fins. On silk ones, be sure to check the plastic where the stem meets the leaves, as this area may be very sharp.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #24 
Slipstitch

Well... Now I have 2 of them, lol. While I was looking for water conditioner, heater, and some different kinds of food to try with Poseidon, my friend decided I needed a second one. He's incredibly active and swims all over the place. Hopefully Poseidon will get back to being an awesome fishy of beauty and they can glare at each other through the glass for years to come, lol. If I've done it right, there should be pics included. They're kind of crappy, but you can see the condition of Poseidon's fins and pics of the newby, Aries.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #25 
Bettaluver4evr

Wow, they sure are pretty! Thanks for rescuing some poor walmart babies, as most are doomed to live and die in the cup. I definitely reccomend silk plants, I use them for all of my bettas and they look very realistic. :)
I was wondering what tank size you have? I can't really guess in the pics, and I didn't read it anywhere. If you posted it somewhere else, sorry! ;)
Also, is your water nice and clean/clear? I know it might just be the photos, but it looks a lil murky...
Your bettas are very blessed! Hehe. It looks like you have 2 double ray crowntails, which means the crowns split off into 2 little crowns at the end. :) I have a double crowned CT too, his name is Liberty. :)
I really hope these guys live for years in your care. They are very pretty. Please continue to post pics of their progress! :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #26 
Slipstitch

They're both in smallish tanks... 1.5 gallons. Once I have a chance, I want to get a 5 or 10 gallon and put in a divider, but that was my limit on monies at the moment. The water is very clean at the moment, my camera just happens to be made of fail, lol. It's a cell phone camera and casts yellow over everything that's not in direct sunlight. Once I convince my friends that I love my fishies, I'll probably get better pics of them. I'm still a little worried about Poseidon(the blue one) but he ate yesterday a little bit, so it's looking better. I need to find a store around here that is fish specific, and has nothing else.

Also, I've read a lot of people on here saying they feed their bettas daily, sometimes twice daily. And my fish seem to be pretty good about not over eating(they both just take a bite and then just swim around for a while). Why on earth did the girl at petco tell me to only feed them once every 3 or 4 days?!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #27 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The Petco girl is not a rabid betta person, like we are, lol!

She just doesn't know any 'betta-h'... (that's my New England accent kickin' in) ;)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #28 
Slipstitch

Lol, I thought it was weird that you'd feed them so little. It seems almost cruel... Aside from reptiles, I've not heard of anything that can live healthily in those conditions.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #29 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
Lol, I thought it was weird that you'd feed them so little. It seems almost cruel... Aside from reptiles, I've not heard of anything that can live healthily in those conditions.
I don't know - I only fed my very first betta (Bob) 3 times a week (Mon., Wed., & Fri.) based on the pet shop's recommendation and I had him 1 1/2 years. Pretty good for a pet shop betta, IMO.

Of course, now I feed my guys 6 days a week!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #30 
Slipstitch

Do bettas get diarrhea? is anything the excrete supposed to be green? O.O I was staring at Poseidon and a trail of green liquid(?(it didn't immediately disperse, maybe cloud-like is a better description) was excreted... And there's what looks like a piece of green fuzz still attached. What should I do? Is that normal? I haven't seen Aries do anything of the sort, so I'm a little spazzed.