Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 
NightxFury

I think it's a fungal infection?

Teru has a white spot on him that I'm pretty sure is a fungal infection. I'm working on treating it, but recently he's scared me a handful of times by thinking he's dead. He just seems to stay at the top of the water and not move. Just today I realized that now, when he tries to swim towards the bottom, he has trouble and just floats back to the surface. : /

He's already in his own 3 gallon with a heater and I've been treating him with Pimafix Antifungal Fish Remedy. I was using Aquarium salt up until recently, but I'm starting to think the fungus might be getting worse since he just recently started having trouble staying under the water.

Housing
What size is your tank? - 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. But he has a plant for hiding in.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-gold Baby Pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I usually feed Teru once a day, but he rarely eats.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Teru used to live (I got him last Friday, so from Friday until the following Wednesday) in a 1/2 gallon when I did 100% water changes every day. I recently (on Wednesday) moved him to a 3 gallon and haven't done a water change yet.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? For a while 100%. Since moving him to the 3 gallon I haven't done any. But I'll probably start doing 50% every other day and then 100% once a week.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat+ is my conditioner and PimaFix. I was using aquarium salt as well.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The white spot on him has grown since I got him and his dorsal fin is torn to all hell. I caught it bleeding a little the other day. I think I saw stress lines on him last night.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's always been an anxious little thing ever since I got him and startled at the smallest thing. Lately, though, I've actually been able to get my finger really close to him before he even seems to notice it. Then he starts freaking out and swims away per usual.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been in bad shape since I've had him, I got him about a week ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've been using PimaFix for the past two days per the instructions on the bottle, I used StressCoat+ once because I thought he had a loose scale. I was using Aquarium Salt for about three days before I moved to the PimaFix.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Like I said, he's been in bad shape since I got him.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I really have no clue how to tell. But I don't think he's that old.

Last edited by NightxFury; 02-19-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added info
NightxFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long have you been treating with the medication?

How much and how often are the water changes in the 3gal and when was the last one, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used other than meds/salt, appetite.....how long have you had him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 
NightxFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How long have you been treating with the medication?

How much and how often are the water changes in the 3gal and when was the last one, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used other than meds/salt, appetite.....how long have you had him....
Just added everything to the first post. Sorry about that. : (
Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like his immune response is compromised from stress of poor water quality and lots of chemical additives.....once they get toxic...sometimes they may not recover due to system shut down...he needs a quiet dark place to recover.....

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 
NightxFury

I don't know where I can get Epsom salt around here. D:

When you say decaf green tea, do you mean just like a regular tea bag...?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt can usually be found at most pharmacy dept like at walmart...pretty cheap....

Yes, like the tea bags.....however, if you have oak leaf or IAL would be better, the decaf green tea will help by providing tanned water to help ease stress...the heating process kills the antibacterial/fungal properties that the raw oak and IAL have.....but its better than nothing.......
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7 
NightxFury

Okay, I'll check it out. Would they have the leaves you recommended there too?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I doubt it....I have never seen the Indian almond leaf in stores, I use naturally dried and fallen from my Oak tree in my yard leaves.....blackwater extract is made from IAL...and this is sold in stores....
Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #9 
NightxFury

Kay. I'll take a look. Unfortunately I won't be able to go out until around 5PM, so hopefully Teru lasts that long. I just did a 100% water change to at least get the chemicals out for him and I'm closing the blinds in the room to make it a little darker.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 
NightxFury

Well, he's swimming around more since I changed the water, at least.